2002 Volvo 5.0L GL-A Seawater Pump 'Leaking'

Sea 2'er

Recruit
As the title indicates, Im experiencing what appears to be a 'water leak' at the seawater pump (Crank driven, not belt). I first noticed this while flushing the engine with a hose at the outdrive, and appears to be coming from the weep hole area of the pump. I've since replaced the impeller and O-ring, but still have the 'leak'. Inspected the housing; looks ion good shape, no visual signs of damage. Could this be related to the amount of water pressure from the hose/house? I tried it again, but lowered the amount of water (1 turn at the hose bib-still possibly 30psi). The pump housing/impeller attaches to a 'cover' that is attached around the crank shaft, which is were the weep holes are located, and were the water is dripping from.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bob
2101 Seaswirl W/A
Oceanside, CA

TRONMAN2000

Seaman Apprentice

TRONMAN2000

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2002 Volvo 5.0L GL-A Seawater Pump 'Leaking'

Just a FYI. After I replaced my seal, the pump didn't want to prime. I started the engine and waited about 15 seconds and nothing. OUCH! So I jumped out of the boat (with it running) and forced the muffs on tighter (squeezed them onto the outdrive) until water finally circulated I guess since the leak was fixed, there was nowhere for the air in the intake hose to escape. Yours may do just fine without doing that, but just keep it in mind so you don't burn up your new impeller.

Sea 2'er

Recruit

Thanks for the feedback. I bought the kit, after referencing the schematics. Unfortunately the 'kit' only contained the O-ring and impeller. OK, back to the parts dept. I'll watch for water flow....great advice!

"KIT" hah! What a crock right? Knothing In This to "rebuild" your pump is the acronym for KIT