Volvo 5.0GL Water Temp Sensor, Sender, Or Switch???

TRONMAN2000

Seaman Apprentice
I just replaced my thermostat housing on my 2000 Volvo 5.0GL today. I ordered the housing (part# 3850360) and a new sensor, sender, or switch (part# 872066) The diagram calls it a switch. It does not fit. It is too small. Do I need this "switch" ? Or did I order the wrong switch? The new housing came with a plug in it where the switch should go. Wrong tstat housing? The old housing had a switch or whatever they call it, but the diameter of the hole is smaller than the new one.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 5.0GL Water Temp Sensor, Sender, Or Switch???

Post a link to the diagram you used to order the parts.

TRONMAN2000

Seaman Apprentice

What does the water temp switch do? (part# 872066) What does it switch on/off? I have a Glastron GX 205 Bowrider. there is no cabin or water heater.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

If it is a 'switch' then it will trigger your audible alarm, in the event of an overheat. There is also a switch for your oil pressure....

TRONMAN2000

Seaman Apprentice

It must be the audible alarm switch because my temp guage still works. Now, I just need to figure out why the switch it calls for (part# 872066) won't fit my tstat housing. Maybe volvo put the wrong switch in the box? I'm gonna go out anyway and just watch my gauge closely. :confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It may be a superceded part. Why doesn't it fit?

TRONMAN2000

Seaman Apprentice

The switch that was sent to me is smaller than the hole in the tstat housing. The switch will fit all the way trough the hole. I'm hoping that Volvo just put the wrong switch in the box. I'll try to post some pictures.