2002 Volvo 5.7 Litre GSi Stalls in Gear

OleBoater

Cadet
I have twin Volvos in my boat and now the Port engine started to run rough and usually stalls when I put it in gear. Changed cap/rotor/plugs but still the same. Checked for error codes but none present. These engines are TBI. In neutral, it starts right away and runs to 3000 rpm no problem. As soon as I put in gear, engine runs rough and stalls. Checked prop to be sure it was clear.

Fuel pressure 30 psi and fuel/water sep just replaced. Hope someone can direct me to problem area.

Powelling

Cadet
Re: 2002 Volvo 5.7 Litre GSi Stalls in Gear

There is a kill switch on the shifting linkage. It temporalty kills the engine while the drive goes into For or Rev or back to N It's to make a smoother easer shift it?s only for a fraction of a second. Possible it could be the switch hanging up.

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just went through some of the same issues with my 2000 VP 5.7GSI PEFS. If you do a search under my posts you will see the progression of my fuel issue. Long story short, I needed to replace the whole fuel Cell which costs about $700.00 depending on where you find it. I?m not saying that YOU need to replace YOUR fuel cell but your issues sound very similar to what I went through. I also did a tune up thinking that I had a problem with my ignition (spark), though I needed the tune up, it didn't fix the problem. It was the fuel cell and in particular the low pressure electric fuel pump. I changed out the hi pump but that didn't do it, I had to buy the whole fuel cell because your not supposed to mess with the low pump. One thing that I noticed was that the High pressure pump was wining and progressively got worse until I couldn?t get the boat over 1200 RPMs. Do search the issue on the forum because I'm not the only skipper that has recently had this issue. Good luck.

OleBoater

Cadet

Thanks Freelancer..

I can't believe the similarities. Especially the loud whining sound coming from the HP pump. I did measure 30 psi at hp and 6 psi at LP. I pulled the whole unit today as my service manual says screens on LP pump side. Could not find any but convinced it is bad because of whine.

Did you measure psi at either pump?

THanks for the help...

One OleBoater

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

if you had water in you secondary fuel filter you have water in your injector assembly. i would start there its the cheaper of the 2. a set of o rings and an injector service for your throttle body. your pressures sound right in the absence of the exact spec, are they running pressures or key on cycle only?
the throttle body is surprisingly simple to service.

does the engine sound like its sucking a lot of air as it stalls?

OleBoater

Cadet

As it turned out, problem was LP pump in fuel cell. Ouch !! Problem fixed although I'm $700 lighter. THanks for your assistance.
Dave