volvo penta 3.0 aq 125 A ....spark plug ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepyweasel

Cadet
Since its rainy today, figured I give the boat an oil change and some new plugs.

I havent been able to cross referance the volvo part number( 875820) to replace the plugs and right now it has champion plugs in it. Not sure of their part number, or even if they are the correct ones anyways.

Also the engine says 10w/40 se oil. Not sure what the se means, can anyone suggest a good oil for this motor that will be availiable at the local auto parts store? thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo penta 3.0 aq 125 A ....spark plug ????

volvo penta 3.0 aq 125 A ....spark plug

First of all, that in is not a 3.0L engine, it's a 2.3L. That may be part of your problem finding the proper plugs. What you need is the NGK plug # W6DC and gap them to .028".
It would probably be a good idea to do a full tuneup, not just new spark plugs, new points, condenser, cap, rotor. Set the dwell, reset the timing, and adjust the carb mixture and idle speed.
Then you know your boat is running it's best.
Here is a link to the OEM service manual to help you along.
http://www.4shared.com/account/file...5_AB_Service_Manual.html?sId=Md7wezsQ3GyWyZvM

The SE in the oil, is just a spec or grade the oil has to meet. You can look on the oil bottles. Any oil will be fine, a straight 30W oil is better for marine engines than the multigrade oils. Few cars run at 4000 to 5000 rpm for hours on end.

sleepyweasel

Cadet

I ended up with ngk bp6es plugs, thats what showed up on ngk website for the engine, and also crooss referenced for the bosch w6 dc....

Please excuse me on thinking it was a 3.0, its in a 1982 fourwinns 180. That may be my problem finding specs on-line as I was searching "3.0 volvo.........."

I will return the 10w40 oil and get 30 instead.

sleepyweasel

Cadet

I found the manual at volvo's website, so alot of my questions are gone:D

It said in the manual to suck out the old oil through the dipstick tube. I dont have a pump, but it seems there is a drain plug on the bottom of the oil pan, any reason not to use that instead? I should be able to get a pan under there anyways.

Don S

You found the owners manuals on the Volvo site, What I posted is the service manual. What the shops use.

You might get a pan under it, but how will you get it out when it's full of oil?????

Bondo

Staff member

You might get a pan under it, but how will you get it out when it's full of oil?????

Ayuh,.... :D Simply Amazing how many people just Don't think about That,....:D

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have a spotless bilge thanks to not thinking of that :p lol

2004SSI180

Seaman Apprentice

Don, Is there a download on here for a shop manual or service manual for a 2004 volvo penta 3.0L GLP-C.

Thanks,
Mike

sleepyweasel

Cadet

You found the owners manuals on the Volvo site, What I posted is the service manual. What the shops use.

I missed the link, thanks!I found the owners manual at volvopenta site, but the one you posted is better.

i have a pan with a lid, and there is alot of room down there. shouldn't be a problem. I will chechk for clearance to make sure though.

sleepyweasel

Cadet

I will read through the manual tomorrow, I'll probably leave the carb alone, the boat runs and idles as it should and I'm from the EFI era... LOL. You don't happen to have a similar manual for the penta 280 outdrive do ya?

mrsafetyman

Recruit
Since its rainy today, figured I give the boat an oil change and some new plugs.

I havent been able to cross referance the volvo part number( 875820) to replace the plugs and right now it has champion plugs in it. Not sure of their part number, or even if they are the correct ones anyways.

Also the engine says 10w/40 se oil. Not sure what the se means, can anyone suggest a good oil for this motor that will be availiable at the local auto parts store? thanks.

It really bothers mew when a honorary moderator makes such anecdotal comment regarding someone whos looking for a 3.0 Volvo penta spark plugs. Don S is wrong about the gap should be .045 and the 3.0 is a 3.0 not a 2.3L I have the four wins 3.0 Volvo penta and the book and all info with the boat purchased in 1998. Becareful of the information form people on this site. Not fully reliable.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It really bothers mew when a honorary moderator makes such anecdotal comment regarding someone whos looking for a 3.0 Volvo penta spark plugs. Don S is wrong about the gap should be .045 and the 3.0 is a 3.0 not a 2.3L I have the four wins 3.0 Volvo penta and the book and all info with the boat purchased in 1998. Becareful of the information form people on this site. Not fully reliable.
First of all, you are posting to a 7 year old thread. Second of all DonS passed away several years ago hence the "honorary" title, 3rd, the OP was looking for a plug for an aq125 motor which is not a 3.0 and DonS did give the correct specs for what the OP had...7 years ago!

Last edited:

GA_Boater

You are so right. Some people on this site do give unreliable information. Ring a bell?

This is closed so no more misinformation is posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.