Help, moisture on spark plugs on volvo penta

sgoldstein

Cadet
Hey everyone I am having a hell of a time with my boat and am about to pull the rest of my hair out. It is a 3.0 L Volvo Penta 4 cy. glp-c . So I originally posted a week ago having metal noises with my starter. Some generous captain suggested changing the bolts out, and now it is turning over again. But now I can get it to fire. Originally someone had mentioned to check my spark plugs for water when I thought the engine was hydrolocked. I checked them and they were damp, so i put new ones in and tried to start it again. No luck it sounds like it wants to start, but just wont fire. I have had these symptoms before and it was the ignition module. I am worried though, because I know moisture on the plugs is bad. Can someone help please???? I am just hoping this is not the end of the boat. I have only had it for 3 years and had more problems then success.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Help, moisture on spark plugs on volvo penta

OK then so you fixed the starter grinding issue
is this the first time your firing it up for the season?
did you do a tune up on it this year?
do you have spark?
go to the adults only at the begining of this section, there is a section there were it will walk you through step by step what you need to do.
rob

sgoldstein

Cadet

Yeah I fixed the grinding issue, although when the starter is trying to spin the flywheel it doesnt sound very flush. It sounds like it is missing a little more than it should, but it is still turning enough to start the engine. I have taken the boat out a couple times in the last month, 2 weeks ago the starter had that problem 30 miles offshore. I feel like the spark plugs are getting moist before a spark can occur. As for a tune up, I have tried to do everything on my own since the funds arent there. I havent done anything with the timing, but change the oil often, changed out spark plug wires, plugs, cap, rotor, ignition module, pcv valve. Should i check somewhere else?

rfcz3

Recruit

It sounds like the gasket is leaking between the raiser and the manifold. There are two gaskets and a metal plate between them. The water / moisture is entering the cylinders through the exhaust valve. If this is the situation you would have most of the moisture in the rear cylinder located near the raiser. I hope this info helps.

Ron

shogun95

Cadet

At the risk of sounding stupid... are you sure the moisture is water and not fuel?