Volvo Distributor Shunt?

cpayne3

Cadet
Last week I needed to use a Distributor shunt to trip the ignition module/distributor into base timing mode. I got impatient waiting on the shunt I ordered from the local volvo dealer and using a previous post that I found in the forum - I made my own. I installed a new ignition module and then I followed the instructions in the post on how to use the shunt and set the timing. In the post it says to hook wire "B" to a positive voltage source. So I figured I did everything correct by following the post.

Today the volvo dealer called saying that the actual volvo shunt I ordered had come in. Even though I figured I had already accomplished the task with my homemade shunt I decided to go by and get the volvo shunt because I did order it and they deserved to get paid for the order. When I arrived at the volvo dealer I got the shunt and noticed that wire "B" was only about 12" inches long. Thinking how is this short wire with an alligator clip suppose to reach a positive battery source - I decided to ask the Volvo Dealer. He said that the "B" wire goes to a ground - NOT A POSITVE VOLTAGE SOURCE.

Now I am completely confused and wondering If I completed my repair successfully and if my engine's timing is correct.

So does anybody know the correct answer? Does the "B" wire with an alligator clip go to a positive voltage source or does it get grounded?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Distributor Shunt?

Tha6 "B" wire is actualy called B+ and stands for battery voltage. There are sources of B+ voltage within reach of the shunt. It does not have to be hooked to the battery + terminal, It's ok to do that if you can't find another source, but not necessary.
Have a look at this thread.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=271407