Volvo 5.0gl/sx being shut down by ignition?

jblaze720

Recruit
This is my first time doing this so bare with me. I have a 2000 Volvo 5.0gl/sx that has been intermittanly dying while just running along. Diesels then dies. Figured out last night that will crank back up if hold the throttle down all the way(flooded, I know)but will only stay running if the key is in the start position, which is also the only time the alarm is beeping. It is supposed to beep only when the switch is in the on position. So something is killing the coil. Not overheating according to my guage but does do fine when it is cold, seems to anyway. No alarms while running ok. Put on new temp sensor about 25hours (runtime) ago. I am thinking ignition switch maybe. But seems like might be something to do with temp or alarm/safety system.
Thanks for any help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 5.0gl/sx being shut down by ignition?

What is the full Model number or even the SN of the engine.
Are you loosing spark or fuel when it dies. Check, don't guess.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If it runs with key in the start position I would look at the kill circuit first. Do you have test light?

jblaze720

Recruit

Definatley loosing spark. Until now it would crank back up right away, but the past few times I would have to give it throttle to overcome the extra fuel. I just now noticed that the alarm that normally goes off when just in the on position, is now only going off when in the start position. Let everything cool back off and everything seems to be normal again.
I do have a test light and have some knowledge of electronics, I do not have a wiring diagram but I could probably find one. Just don't know where to start.
I will get the ser# and mod# tomorrow.
It is the intermittant/possible temperture thing that puzzles me.
Thanks for any help!
jason

Last edited:

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I recently had an ignition module that would run fine when cold then start to miss and run poorly as it heated up. Not super cheap (~$200) though so I would recommend some more troubleshooting before trying.