2002 5.7 gsi volvo shifting hard into gear

ADOBEROCK

Cadet
I have the duoprop drive and it seems to going into gear with a thud. Idle is at 600rpm(TBI) and I don't see anything wrong. The cable moves freely. I just don't to have a problem 1/2 across Flaming Gorge. Thanks for any advice.

KJSmitty

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2002 5.7 gsi volvo shifting hard into gear

Is the boat new to you - or is this thud something you haven't felt before etc?

I by no means am an expert in the out-drive area but I have had my 2003 Volvo Gxi DP for numerous years and always felt it shifted with a thud - nothing hideous but what I considered noticeable.. Been told by my Volvo shop that it was completely normal. (all of my previous boats/experience were Merc I/O's)

Check your drive oil level for starters. I've never had a low level situation but it was overfilled one year and it would hesitate/thud quite well when engaging etc..

The above overfill of the drive was the reason I started performing all of my own maintenance on the boat. When a shop/tech can't even get that right it tells me more than I need to know about "competence". The following season when a leak began on my trim system it was quickly evident that they had stripped out the pump manifold as well. At $139 an hour labor I don't play that game.

Sorry for my rambling.... :p

Cheers

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you are hearing this while on muff, it may be normal. Especially if you have SS props.

ADOBEROCK

Cadet

thanks for the replies. I only notice it in the water. It goes in and out of gear just fine but it just seems to be louder or more felt than my last boat which had the same drive. Yes I do have SS props.