Volvo Penta no throttle in forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

samoabiologist

Recruit
Equipment - Volvo Penta engine, electronic controls

Problem (Intermittent, problem solves itself, then re-occurs with no apparent pattern)

When shift lever is pushed forward, the forward gear engages, but the throttle does not advance (actuator in control box does not move). Throttle does work in reverse. This problem persists from both the main controls, and the fly bridge controls.

Mechanic replaced computer that is connected to control box, but this did not solve the problem. I don't have time to wait for the one mechanic on this island to "get around to it", so where should I start troubleshooting? Perhaps the wiring between the throttle controls and the computer? Not sure what to look for, and I apologize for any misuse of terminology, I am outside of my area of expertise here. Thanks for any tips and/or help.

mycirus

Cadet
Re: Volvo Penta no throttle in forward

Im not familiar with your set up but you want to start somewhere that is common with everything. Since it is doing it in multiple locations you want to start where everything comes together. Maybe a Junction box or something? I would start with looking for loose connections, wires or cuts. Intermittent problems are the worst.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Equipment - Volvo Penta engine, electronic controls

Nothing there to go on. Is this an EVC engine, if so, what is the full model number, better yet, what is the SN of your engine and drive setup.

samoabiologist

Recruit

I don't think the Engine matters with this problem. The Electronic control system is a KE-4a, which obviously does matter - sorry I left that out of the original post. Today we tried switching portside control head with starboard control head, and replaced the throttle drive motor - No luck. Any ideas?

Manual for KE-4a is available here: http://www.columbus-marine.dk/Files/Billeder/Produkter/Teleflex/Morse_KE-4.pdf

VolvoWeiss

Recruit
I know it's been 12 years, but we have the same issues and are deliberately searching for a solution, does anyone have a fix for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.