Volvo Penta 4.3 acceleration problems.

boostnm3

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, i just bought a 1997 four winns horizon with a 4.3 volvo motor and outdrive in it. The boat starts up fine, and runs great till i get about 30-33 mph. If i try to give it full throttle it acts like it bogs down, until i let off the throttle a bit (almost like letting off 1/4 throttle). After letting off the throttle a bit, the engine sounds good again but will not accelerate past 33 mph. Like i said, up to that speed it accelerates fine and runs great, just when i try to get it faster the motor sounds like its bogging down till i let off the throttle. Im new to boats so not sure what it could be. I work on cars, so i know i can work on the engine, just need clues as to where to start. Im thinking i might need to change the plugs, cap, rotor, wires, and fuel filter/water separator. Is there something else that can cause this problem? Also i had it out on the water for 4 hours yesterday, and when i came back and removed the plug, it seemed as though quite a bit of water came out. Is that normal? It maybe filled up a few inches or so maybe. We kept stopping and jumping in to cool off every 30 min or so. Is any water supposed to get in? Or should it be completely dry after coming out of the water? Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Volvo Penta 4.3 acceleration problems.

Im thinking i might need to change the plugs, cap, rotor, wires, and fuel filter/water separator.

Ayuh,... A Full,+ Complete Tune Up,+ Service is Always a Great Idea...

My 1st Guess is,... You're going to find Water in the fuel filter...

Go upto the Adults Only section of this forum,... There's a Gold Mine of Info there...
It'll answer most of your Questions...