Volvo starting problem ..... help....

PitaBoat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I purchased our family boat (1984 Invader with AQ125a Volvo Penta) from my father recently (it has been in my family since it was new). He told me it was tuned up last summer and then has sat ever since. When I attempted to start it, it turned over very well, but would not start. I check the points - very clean. I get about 10.5v from the ignition coil where the single purple wire connects to the coil. When I pull the ignition cable connecting the coil to the distributor cap off of the cap, I get no spark to the engine block from this cable when I turn over the engine. So, I thought the problem was either the ignition cable or the ignition coil.

So, I replaced all the spark plug wires and the ignition cable with Sierra MagForce part 18-8813-1 from wholesalemarine.com given the existing wires/cable looked VERY old and were very hard. This resulted in no change when I attempted to start the engine. I now think the problem is the ignition coil. I want to replace it, but I am not sure if I need one with an internal resistor or one without.

1. Do I need an ignition coil with or without an internal resistor?

2. Could the problem lie elsewhere?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo starting problem ..... help....

Sorry I don't know if you have a ballast resistor or not, but most do, in which case you wouldn't need an internal resistor.

My coil has printing right on the side that says it do not have an internal resistor, and that you need to have external resistance.

Good luck!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Make sure the points are clean and that the dwell(or gap) is set correctly before you go throwing a new coil on there. Run an emory board across the points just in case.

With the points open you should measure 12V at both the + and - side of the coil.

With the points closed you should measure 12V or something less(like 8-7V) if you have an external ballast resistor at the + side and 0V at the - side.

Makr sure the inside and the outside of the cap is perfectly clean and dry.

warlock73

Cadet

I had the same prob.After dumping cash into all the other electrical ****, it was the coil. Autozone matched up the one I had for $ 25. Works fine. Dont go with an $ 80 one at the boat store. Mine has an inline resistor between the Alternator and the Coil. Follow the wire. Ps.... Mines an 82 Aq125a. good luck.

PitaBoat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. I checked the points - clean with appropriate gap. One has a pit in the center of the point, but I see spark between the points when turning the engine over. I will check the voltage with the points open and closed and will check back.

PitaBoat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When following the wire from the coil, am I to follow the wire from the + terminal or the -?

PitaBoat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To close this issue out - I replaced the ignition coil and installed an electronic ignition. That solved my problem.