Ignition coil Volvo AQ125a

PitaBoat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I purchased our family boat (1984 Invader with AQ125a Volvo Penta) from my father recently (it has been in my family since it was new). He told me it was tuned up last summer and then has sat ever since. When I attempted to start it, it turned over very well, but would not start. I check the points - very clean. I get about 10.5v from the ignition coil where the single purple wire connects to the coil. When I pull the ignition cable connecting the coil to the distributor cap off of the cap, I get no spark to the engine block from this cable when I turn over the engine. So, I thought the problem was either the ignition cable or the ignition coil.

So, I replaced all the spark plug wires and the ignition cable with Sierra MagForce part 18-8813-1 from wholesalemarine.com given the existing wires/cable looked VERY old and were very hard. This resulted in no change when I attempted to start the engine. I now think the problem is the ignition coil. I want to replace it, but I am not sure if I need one with an internal resistor or one without.

1. Do I need an ignition coil with or without an internal resistor?

2. Could the problem lie elsewhere?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PitaBoat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To close out this issue, I replaced the ignition coil and installed an electronic ignition and have not really had this problem since.