5.0 Gxi C Volvo engines heating up

I have a 2003 fourwinns with twin 5.0 Gxi c motors the port engines run fine in slower speeds, however when a throttle up the engine heats up with in a minute or two. the engine automatically throttles down to about 2,000 Rpm I then put in reverse for a minute. Then I put it back to forward And then run it at about 2000 rpm it will cool back down an I can throttle up again in a minute or two. then it heats up again the motor shuts it back down to 2000 rpm. however it will remain getting hotter if I dont put it in reverse an do the step I just discussed. I replace the impellor which looked perfect. so I dont thing that is the issues. Do anyone have any suggestion on what to try next.

Ron Garlick

captmello

Captain
Re: 5.0 Gxi C Volvo engines heating up

Are your motors raw water cooled or do they have heat exchangers and antifreeze in the block?

Salt water or fresh water?

Thank You For Responding.

The Engine Gets Raw Water And Is In Fresh Water

Ron

captmello

Captain

assuming you ran it with the new impeller, That has to be the first thought. When was it changed last before this new one? It's very hard to say. I don't know a lot about your engine and drive. I can't see how putting the engine in reverse would help it cool down.:confused:

Are you able to perform the tests outlined in the link Don gave you?

Overheat issues can be tough to figure out.

Thanks again everyone,

I download the file Don S. send me. Thank you. It looks like I need to do the clear hose test. Do I need to contact a boat technician to do this or can I rent one? Or how hard are they to make? My boat has very little room to work on the lower engine area. Also it said to check the ECM for DTC where d0 you get that at and does it plug it like a car? I am very handy but a novice with cars and boat engines.

thank again for all the help. I need it

Ron

captmello

Captain

I guess it really depends on how much time you want to spend working on the boat or how much money you want to spend on the boat, right?

The method shown in the link from Don S shows how the pros should handle the problem, assuming you have the equipment and general knowledge of the engine cooling system.

You never mentioned the thermostat. That is a fairly easy repair that could cause the problem. I'd swap the themo out and if that doesn't help, it may be time to have a mechanic check it out. I don't know where you boat, but around my area the boating season is short. You don't want to spent half the summer trying to track down the problem.:eek:

Good luck!

Thanks

I boat in central Florida so its basically year round, I think I will try the theromstate, I am like most people these day and have had my income cut in half. So money is tight. But I want the problem fixed so I dont do more damage. I want to try everything i can myself before I bring in a mechanic
Also I haven't tried the boat since I change the impellor which look fine. however I did notice it dripping every now and then from the impellor housing prior to my repair and didn't notice the little rubber gasket when i took off impellor housing. But reading all these test and such about air getting in make me wonder if that could have been the problem. I guess I need to do a test Run

Ron

Well took boat out for a test run. Boat port engine still heated up. However only heats up when on plane. Then on the back end of my trip. The starboard engine Rpm gauge stop working and about if not the exact time the engine stops overheating. temp gauge did a little quick boucing around but never got hot. Does these mean anything?

Help me out

Ron

captmello

Captain

I did notice it dripping every now and then from the impeller housing prior to my repair and didn't notice the little rubber gasket when i took off impeller housing.

If you are referring to the small rubber plug in the center of the impeller, I don't think that is your problem, but you never know.

But reading all these test and such about air getting in make me wonder if that could have been the problem. I guess I need to do a test Run

Air leaking into the water intake at planing speed is a common problem for older Volvo's like mine, They leak at the hose connection on the outdrive. however I just am not familiar with your outdrive, what do you have, an SX? Have a close look at the intake hoses from the transom to the water pump. those are areas that it could be sucking air. The system could be leaking all the time but only causing overheat at higher RPM/speeds.

Well took boat out for a test run. Boat port engine still heated up. However only heats up when on plane. Then on the back end of my trip. The starboard engine Rpm gage stop working and about if not the exact time the engine stops overheating. temp gage did a little quick bouncing around but never got hot. Does these mean anything?

Your thermo could be sticking. I'd change it out and see what happens.