Shift Cable Hard to Engage - Volvo 275

TulsaTime

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Boat: '86 Bayliner Capri Volvo 2.3L AQ131A/275. I replaced my drive bellows Friday night and did this by removing the upper gear box (tranny). There is a cable that comes thru there and ties onto linkage that puts the drive into gear. It appreared when I put it all back together (after installing the bellow) that it went right back into the same position. I now have a really really stiff shift cable and smooth acceleration is very difficult both getting up to speed and slowing down. Engaging both reverse and forward is about the same stiffness. Any ideas?

Last edited:

captmello

Captain
Re: Shift Cable Hard to Engage - Volvo 275

I just replaced mine a couple weeks ago. To confirm its the shift cable, when you disengage the shift cable at the throttle control, to throttle up the engine for warmup etc., does the handle move freely? Remove the shift cover on the outdrive and disconnect the shift cable, and try shifting the upper into forward and reverse by hand. It should shift easily by hand.

Good luck!

TulsaTime

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you saying remove the shift cable completely from the throttle control? Also, are there two cables, one for the shifter and one for the throttle? As you can tell, I haven't tried anything yet but will this Friday night. I have been doing some research on the shift mechanism, but I'm not convinced that's the problem just yet. I forgot to mention that when I pulled the gear housing off, I only found 1 shim in the "well" area. I did replace the both o-rings on top of the intermediate housing. So, is there an outside chance when I put that back onto the intermediate housing, the splines didn't line up properly? Or is there a chance the upper gear box needs to be shimmed as well? There were no shims there when I removed it.

And Lastly,(for now) I've looked all thru the volvo penta store and can't find the shift cable to purchase if at the end of day this is what it is. Any suggestions there as well?

Last edited:

captmello

Captain

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

Are you saying remove the shift cable completely from the throttle control?

No. All throttle controls I've had, had a button or, in my case , I pull the control handle out and by doing one of these things, it allows you to throttle up the engine for warm up and for pumping the gas for cold starting without engaging the shift cable. Also bypasses the neutral safety switch.

I forgot to mention that when I pulled the gear housing off, I only found 1 shim in the "well" area. I did replace the both o-rings on top of the intermediate housing. So, is there an outside chance when I put that back onto the intermediate housing, the splines didn't line up properly? Or is there a chance the upper gear box needs to be shimmed as well? There were no shims there when I removed it.

I don't think it would go back together if the spines weren't lined up. The one shim in the "well" could be right. That is the only shim/s you would be exposed to at that point. I guess you have to hope someone hasn't removed any in the past and without measuring, you can't tell. Regardless, I don't think it would effect the shifting.

And Lastly,(for now) I've looked all thru the Volvo penta store and can't find the shift cable to purchase if at the end of day this is what it is. Any suggestions there as well?

You can purchase the cable on Iboats but you need to know what length it is. There should be some numbers on the old cable that could help identify the length.

Here's a link to the type of cable you would need.:)

http://www.iboats.com/Force_Chrysle...09923133--**********.415557842--view_id.40283

TulsaTime

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks captmello, I'll be sure and post my findings / fixes when I look at it this weekend. :cool:

TulsaTime

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I had a blonde moment. I took the cover off the outdrive and found that I had replaced the linkage backwards. This was getting in the way of travel of the shift cable. This might be posted as well on stupid human tricks. Flipped it back around and bingo. The world is level again! :cool:

Skippy J

Cadet

Tulsa time...........don't you hate when the world is out of level. :D

captmello

Captain

those are the kind of repairs we like!!:)

BTW, as a carpenter, I've checked, nothing is level.:rolleyes:;)