Water plug for volvo penta 270

freeboats

Seaman Apprentice
does anyone happen to Know what size the plug is at the bottom of the drive, the the water from running right back out.
also the dipstick on the out drive is dry, I will add oil (10-40 wt?) but I am concerned about damage,
and I have no flame arrestor, where can I get one please.
Thank you as always, doc:cool:

captmello

Captain
Re: Water plug for volvo penta 270

flame arrester on ebay, used someplace I suppose.

May as well drain the fluid from the lower and see what you get out. I pump my fluid up thought the drain hole, You can buy the pumps at any marine store. however you have a fill hole on the back of your 270 I believe.

I just shove a piece of rolled up heater hose in the hole to keep most of it from pouring out. Once the pump is spinning it will get plenty of water.

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

does anyone happen to Know what size the plug is at the bottom of the drive, the the water from running right back out.
also the dipstick on the out drive is dry, I will add oil (10-40 wt?) but I am concerned about damage,
and I have no flame arrestor, where can I get one please.
Thank you as always, doc:cool:

30wt drain all fluid out of drive in lower unit. Make sure drive is lowerd all teh way and level. Behind the shift cover (plate that says the drive name) there is a big screw if you remove that, that is were u fill the drive up with oil. Or some guys fill it from the top, if take the top of a thing of gear lube (pointy tip) and put it on a quart of oil, its just enough to get into the hole and squeeze the oil in. These take between 2.2-2.5 quarts. If you have the manual for the drive check it out it should tell you. Also they take a bit to settle so be patient with checking the oil level. Flame arrestor you should be able to find that on e-bay.

freeboats

Seaman Apprentice

So I plugged the hole, removed the seawater pump, all was in good shape, just had a little debris on the impeller,so I cleaned that turned on the water supply,start the motor.....looked ion the heat exchanger water was flowing nicelyto the exuast manifold and proceeded pour out the bottom, one of the frost plugs is missing:mad:
are they hard to replace and where can I get one (auotparts store??)?

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im confused. Was the water comingout the heat exchanger or the engine block. If it came out of the block it should have antifreeze in it (hopefully). You may have just found out why the boat was free.

The manifold does have freeze plugs too.

5580.png

The heat exhanger has one if you have the older style exchanger.

The engine one is PN 463904 they have to be brass the regular auto ones will corrode out, but this is mainly on raw water cooled engines, but either way make sure you get the brass ones.

5744.png

freeboats

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry for not being clear I mean the ones on the exuast manifold,

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

I belive its #9 on the top picture, here is a link to all the manifold parts http://www.volvopentastore.com/INDU...*****.856853251--store_id.366--view_id.325956

PN # 968955

Also may want to check to make sure it aint cracked. It look like it takes 8 of them. Two per hole?

These things crack realy easy and they can crack in between the exhaust ports and water jackets which would get water into the engine.

Since its on the bottom and you have to pull it out anyway best to get a mounting kit too, they include new gaskets and bolts. For around 20 bucks or so. A new manifold for that engine is gonna run ya about 250ish + freight. I found one local a new osco for 239.00

freeboats

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Kamby, My next question was gonna be doI gotta take off the Manifold to tap the plug in, I guess yer right , do it right the first time.

anybody got any ideas on removing a stuck distributer??

Jeeze, I am gonna be a grand into this free boat by the end of the week:confused:

captmello

Captain

Thanks Kamby, My next question was gonna be doI gotta take off the Manifold to tap the plug in, I guess yer right , do it right the first time.

anybody got any ideas on removing a stuck distributer??

Jeeze, I am gonna be a grand into this free boat by the end of the week:confused:

Cracked manifolds are deadly to these engines. Chances are water froze and forced the plug out. If your serious about getting this boat working, You'll need to make sure your not leaking water into the exhaust. Pulling the manifold is a good idea.

If you want, you could try the leak test posted in the adults only sticky at the top of the I/O forum. I haven't had to try it myself but it looks fairly easy.

Only a grand so far? sounds about right.;)

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

BreakOoutAnotherThousand

Yep yard that sucker out and check for cracks, rot etc. Not sure what state your from but im gonna try and find where i put the link for that place that had the manifolds for the cheapest i found.

I was so excited my i-boats order arrived today with the parts i ordered. And the main part i needed to fix the water leak never got put into the box, grrr... Stuff happens though not the only time this happened, i ordered one of those blue tooth headsets and they shipped me an empty box. No tape damage or nothin, that was through Staples.

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ahh here it is. If your local to WA state there about the cheapest. Not sure what shipping is gonna run you on it tho.

http://www.b-jmarinemanifolds.com/50ee98ee-0674-48f0-85fc-253be91d8ce1.tab.aspx

at the bottom of the page, i talked to a few repair shop and they said osco is one of the better brands for these manifolds. The genuine VP is over 1k which is sad for an item you have to replace every few years if your in salt water.

freeboats

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the link, Gonna be a few days before I can pull the manifold anyway
gotta work for the money to feed the boat, and the kids were whining about having to put water on their cerial or some such nonsence ;)

Any body got any ideas on a stuck disributer?

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the link, Gonna be a few days before I can pull the manifold anyway
gotta work for the money to feed the boat, and the kids were whining about having to put water on their cerial or some such nonsence ;)

Any body got any ideas on a stuck disributer?

Hehe, not as bad as the balone and penut butter we had. If you can stomach that, that water and cereal should be a pice of pie. It dont cost nothing to pull the manifold and you may have been lucky that it just poped the freeze plug.

As far as the distributer goes, it could be a possiblity something internal got screwy and jammed it, counter weights or whatever. These are spendy distributers too so you may want to check around and see if anyone rebuilds these things, or try and rebuild it yourself, i've never done one so i dont know whats involved. But at over 1k from volvo id be looking around.