2007 Volvo Pento 3.0 Lower Unit Oil Seal

lushka16

Seaman Apprentice
Last weekend I managed to catch a rope on my prop shaft on my way back do the dock. I only noticed the rope when I pulled up on the trailer, and at that point it was firmly wrapped around the prop shaft. Most of the rope was behind the propeller itself.

I pulled off the prop and managed to get 90% of the rope off, but I did notice that the friction wore away at a seal, and likely the seal is compromised.

The picture below shows where the seal is. It is right on the back on the prop shaft, where it meets the housing of the lower unit.

The picture below is not my lower unit (and I don't think it's even a Volvo), but it's to give an idea as to where the seal is.

lowerunit2.jpg

Now I'm PRETTY certain that in the image below, I need #13, but I certainly could use another set of eyes.

If this is indeed my seal, how would I go about replacing it? Does this seem like a DIY project, or should I Break Out Another Thousand?

Anchor Management 1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2007 Volvo Pento 3.0 Lower Unit Oil Seal

It is a volvo in the pic. And it looks like it is #13 you are needing the propshaft seal,is it leaking oil?

lushka16

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2007 Volvo Pento 3.0 Lower Unit Oil Seal

It is a volvo in the pic. And it looks like it is #13 you are needing the propshaft seal,is it leaking oil?

A little bit, but definitely leaking a lubricating fluid. The boat is at my dad's place and I haven't been there since the accident, but my initial impression was that it was grease rather than oil, but it may very well be oil. It's not an obvious oil leak, but there certainly is fluid... if that makes sense.