Volvo Penta AQ131D - no fuel in fuel filter or line

E-vader

Cadet
Can anyone advise a safe way to test fuel pump? I've done a lot of work on this engine (VP AQ131D) over the last month and am now trying to crank for the first time. It turns over when using starting fluid but won't start. Have checked fuel line and filter and no obstruction. No squirt of gas from the carb jet when I operate the accelerator pump. After cranking for a few minutes, I have no fuel in filter and only a couple of drops in the line from tank to filter. I don't believe there is an anti-siphon valve on the tank - would it be in the tank or right where the fuel line attaches?

This pump worked fine last October but it was off the engine for a couple of months. Should I just replace or is there something else to check first??

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo Penta AQ131D - no fuel in fuel filter or line

Check make sure there is no cracks in the lines, filters, hose clamps are tight fittings are tight, or it will suck in air. The antisiphon is the part that attaches to the tank. Not sure what tank you have but my hose on the tank attaches to a barbed fitting, if you remove the fitting there is a ball bearing and spring in there, if u have a dirty tank or bad gas they can get cruddy. Clean or replace. Also pull the pickup tube out of the tank and check for a filter or screen on it.

My boat for whatever reason didnt have any kind of fuel filter on it, except the little mesh screen in the carb that only filters the high speed jet. Good one Bayliner..

When in doubt suck on the hose, it should be relatively easy to get gas up, if it makes a scractching sound you have an anti-syphone valve. If its hard to suck up the gas you have a plug somewhere.

To check if your pump is bad there is a clear hose runing from the pump to the carb, if it pumps gas into that hose your fuel pump diaphrams are bad and the pump has to be replaced.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta AQ131D - no fuel in fuel filter or line

To check if your pump is bad there is a clear hose runing from the pump to the carb, if it pumps gas into that hose your fuel pump diaphrams are bad and the pump has to be replaced.

There are more ways a pump can fail than just leaking fuel out the clear hose.

A very simple check would be to hook up an outboard tank directly to the fuel pump. Pump up the bulb and start the engine. It should run without further pumping. If not, then you will have to hook up a fuel pump pressure gauge between the carb and pump and see what the pumps output is.