Volvo Penta fuel pump problems

va boater

Recruit
I have a 1996 Fourwinns with a 5.8 fuel injected motor. Last season I went thru 3 low pressuer fuel pumps? The last one only made it thru one day. They don't fail and stop, the boat just won't start again. There is not a strainer on the pick up in the tank. Replaced the check valve (old one was fine). Changed the fuel seperator filter. When I put the new pump on the boat starts and runs fine. Untillm it wont start again. Anyone have this problem.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Volvo Penta fuel pump problems

Welcome to iboats!

I will place this in the proper section where you will get some good answers.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 1996 Fourwinns with a 5.8 fuel injected motor. Last season I went thru 3 low pressuer fuel pumps? The last one only made it thru one day. They don't fail and stop, the boat just won't start again. There is not a strainer on the pick up in the tank. Replaced the check valve (old one was fine). Changed the fuel seperator filter. When I put the new pump on the boat starts and runs fine. Untillm it wont start again. Anyone have this problem.

Check your wiring...neighbor has a mustang went thru 3 pumps in 3 days. problem found out to be positive wire grounding on the frame. thats only if you have a electric pump. If yours is mechanical than disregard.
Denny

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Changed the fuel seperator filter. When I put the new pump on the boat starts and runs fine. Untillm it wont start again. Anyone have this problem.

Did you empty the old filter and look at the contents? Sounds to me like you have a lot of water in the fuel tank.
Pull the filter and dump it into a clear container and see if you have fuel setting on top of a lot of water.

va boater

Recruit

It had a small amount of water. I replaced the filter wet thru two tanks of fuel befor the second pump failed. The third lasted a day. It is an electric pump, fuel injected, All pumps were volvo pumps. There are no restriction between the tank and low pressure pump have not checked from low pressure to high pressure.

shdw2001h

Seaman

I went throught the same thing last season. the filters would not show that much water but in fact I had about 5 gal of water in the tank. I had to take the fuel level out of the tank and place a hose to the lowest point in the tanks and siphon the bottom of the tank. I also noticed that the gas had separated. and it did not show up in the filters. I also check the power to the pumps as stated above.

va boater

Recruit

Is there a way to purge the pumps and fuel system? Or is it necessary if I drain the tank and start with new fuel, I will change the fuel filter.

shdw2001h

Seaman

Is there a way to purge the pumps and fuel system? Or is it necessary if I drain the tank and start with new fuel, I will change the fuel filter.

Not sure, but I never did all I did was change the filters, replace the gas and start it up. I has run great since. But I also added a racor filter before my
volvo filter.

va boater

Recruit

Would a blocked fuek tank vent cause enough of a restriction in fuel to make the pump fail?

shdw2001h

Seaman

I guess it could if it restricted enough fuel from the pump. also Check the
anti-siphon valve on the gas tank it might not be working right.