volvo trim cylinder no. 3857470 - serviceable or not?

samdimaio

Recruit
have '94 four winns horizon 180se with original 5.0 OMC Cobra IO (outdrive unit model 3868076, outdrive transom assy. no 3868030) less than 150 hrs. - one of the original OMC trim cylinders failed in '05 - dealer informed that '94 was transition year with OMC and Volvo, so my dealer replaced both of the original OMC trim cylinders in June '06 with Volvo service kit no. 3885196 that included new Volvo trim cylinders p/n 3857470, new lines, pivot pins, etc. - a costly repair because the O/D had to be removed to install the new Volvo style lines - one of the new Volvo trim cylinders p/n 3857470 is now leaking badly after less than 20 hrs. -dealer says warranty is 1-year and these trim cylinders are not serviceable, new they cost 463.00 -562.00 each, are these trim cylinders indeed not rebuildable? there is no rebuild kit available? the end cap has holes for a spanner wrench, so disassembly at least looks feasible. any advice at this point would be appreciated. sam

Last edited by a moderator:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: volvo trim cylinder no. 3857470 - serviceable or not?

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard Sam,....
You only need to post your question Once,... Use your "Refresh" button if you don't see it listed...
Oh,... And don't be listing your email address, etc,... That's Very Dangerous on forums of any kind, anywhere....

I'd 1st question Why you're going thru trim cylinders like candy,..??
They usually last the life of the unit...

Welcome Aboard,.....

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

as long as it doesn't have corosion damage on the end cap that prevents a new outer seal from being installed there is a omc part number that works on it. I have 2 sets down on my boat that I couldn't use since I had corosion. I will get you the part number tomorrow after I go down to the boat.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

slasmith1, They are not OMC trim cylinders. They are newer Volvo. I'm trying to look up his PN, just not having much success.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

slasmith1, They are not OMC trim cylinders. They are newer Volvo. I'm trying to look up his PN, just not having much success.

I know mine are too it is the same as the late model omc for the reseal kit I just had the volvo dealer in gig harbor research the whole thing with a factory rep.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the internals are the same great, Get him some numbers.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

here you go it is BRP part # 985060

humbled1

Seaman Apprentice

Where did you get part # Is that listing for a Volvo sytem like he has on his ourdrive? The only reason I asked is I talked to the orginal poster has he had the same question. :D

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

it is actually a brp or johnson evinrude part number I got it from the volvo dealer in gig harbor, wa they have rebuilt several with this kit. it matches all the seals in the newer volvo trim rams but it is actually meant for OMC rams.

humbled1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, this guy pulled his hair out because he had to switch out all the OMC Cobra stuff on put Volvo trim cylinders and hardware on the boat 2 years ago. One of his new cylinders is leaking now and out warrenty. :mad: So its either buy a brand new from Volvo :eek: (ouch) or rebuild whats on there.

humbled1

Seaman Apprentice

I talked to the guy today he said the kit worked. He even bought it from the Volvo dealer that said it would not work. All he has to do now is put it back on the boat.