trouble identifying volvo penta

Status
Not open for further replies.

baghead9

Recruit
This is my first post at this site. I have been trying to identify the exact year of a boat I bought out of a storage facility. I have tried the Volvo site that you have referred others with my problem to but they say they only go back ten years with serial # identification. So here is what I have: It is a Volvo penta 4.3 4V with a OMC Cobra out-drive. The only numbers I could find on the engine were on a tag on the distributor and they are 841069 and BM7013A 3 R. On the transom there is a OMC tag with the following: 983 I believe a 5 or possibly a 9 fol owed by two zeros also T0019248 that last number 8 could possibly be a B. I have tried to match these numbers on several sites linked to this one. My problem is with the lower shift cable. I have found some excellent information here about the problems with cables and believe I can remedy the problem but the first thing I want to do is buy a manual and I want to make sure it is the right one. You folks have a great site here. I hope you can help me out I don't know why I am having so much trouble identifying this unit. It might be because it was built around the time OMC was having problems and Volvo was getting involved with them. I am going to attach some pics if I figure out how to in case those numbers aren't enough. Anyway thanks in advance Dave from Bullhead city Az. Well no pics. I hope the numbers are enough. If not I will try again tomorrow with those pics.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: trouble identifying volvo penta

Not sure why you would be looking at Volvo, you have an OMC serial number, OMC Cobra outdrive (With a lower shift cable) Volvo doesn't use a lower shift cable with their drives.

jdands

Cadet

how do i know witch 4.3 volvo penta i have?

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer

Start a new thread and include all serial/part numbers you have on engine and drive. Some of the gurus will be along and tell you exactly what you have.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You already have your own thread started, I already deleted another old post you ask the same question on, now this one.
ASK your question one time, in your own thread, not at the end of a year old thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.