Questions About Volvo carb rebuild??

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
I post a thread last fall(I think) about having some issues with our engines stalling out while making low speed maneuvers in our boat. Sometimes they would just die and other times they would die while shifting. Its finally warmed up enough around here to de-winterize everything. Fired them up without much trouble after sitting all winter and changed out the distributor cap, button, spark plugs, water impeller, oil+filter, water/fuel filters, and sprayed some carb cleaner in the carbs to clean them up some. They will start right up with just a tap of the key which is better than its ever been but one, the idle kinda floats around. We adjusted the idle to around 750 but it floats between 700 and 800rpms. Two, the fuel filters were nasty. Hardly any water but it looks like its been AWHILE since the filters were changed. Dumped them out in a jug and it had a lot of crap in it, looked like mostly rust from the filters themself. Didnt get around to checking the filters in the carbs(I think they have them in there) so Im not sure how much crap is in those. Figured the floating would be from dirty carbs? Didnt get a chance to take it out of port after working on the engines, they seemed to shift ok without stalling while in dock though.

Either way, wanted to get some heads up on how difficult it is to rebuild these carbs. Im not 100% sure but I believe they are Rochester carbs, can anyone confirm that?

Here is the SN for one of the engines.

500A

Ive got the OM but it talks about 3 different carbs.. A holley, rochester, and nikki. From the pics it looks like a Rochester and says thats what a 500A had. Best place to get a rebuild kit?

One last question, is an intermediate bearing the same thing as a gimbal bearing?

Thanks for any help. :)

captmello

Captain
Re: Questions About Volvo carb rebuild??

I had similar idle issues last year with my motor. I called around for a couple of estimates. One shop wanted to "Re-manufacture the carb for $250, which seemed too close to the cost of a new carb. I was lucky enough to find a guy locally who rebuild my carb for $100 plus parts. It runs really good now, no stalling or idle issues. You can try doing it yourself, but...

Yes, the intermediate bearings in the volvo serve the same purpose as the gimbal bearing in a Merc. To change the bearings you must pull the engine.

Good luck!!

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Questions About Volvo carb rebuild??

Bought a rebuild kit from Napa for one of our Volvos for around $30. Figured we would give one a try before doing the other.

The rebuild really wasnt a problem at all. The inside of the carb wasnt really all that dirty but the needles did have a tid bit of stuff on them. Pretty sure that was causing the 'floating' rpms we were getting at idle.

We didnt have a vacuum gauge or an RPM gauge so Im not sure if we got the fuel/air mixture just right or not. We started at 1 1/4 turns from finger tight and went from there. Tried to listen for the RPM's to drop in both directions(turning in and out) then tried to get it in between that. Defiantly idles better with little to no wondering. Before it would float between 700-800rpms.

Couple of questions. Before and after cleaning the carb, if you look down in the carb and give it some gas you can see drops of gas from the accelerator pump. They only come out when you first give it gas so Im not sure if thats normal or what. I always figured it should be a fine mist but??

Another question, we set the idle speed to 750-800rpm in N. When we put it in gear it drops to around 700rpms. Do those RPMS sound about right? It says the rpms should be around 750 so??