volvo penta D4 reverse shifting valve problem

mike_whi

Recruit
Not sure if this is the correct location for this thread but maybe somebody can shed some light on some questions i have. I have a buddy with a 26' 05 striper with a Volvo penta d4 , recently when i was talking to him he said his boat will not go in to reverse(he can shift the throttle but prop does not spin). He took it to the shop and they said it is the reverse shifting valve. What type of valve is this Servo? Directional? Do they use any kind of position feedback loop like a LVDT? what voltage reference would be getting sent to this valve? 12V . Any body know where i can find a pin out of the EVC or does that reference come from the SUS unit? Is this a common issue? Is there a way i can manually force this valve to make sure the spool isn't stuck? any maybe any other information that could be usefull like a part number for this valve?

MODS if this is the wrong location please relocate to the correct place.
or delete i also posted in the electrical
Any information would be helpfull

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo penta D4 reverse shifting valve problem

Outdrive or transmission? Can you get the SN for the engine? That will tell me what model of EVC is used.

mike_W

Recruit

outdrive. I will get you the SN when i call my buddy later today. I am trying to troubleshoot this problem 382miles away.

Don S

Has he tried to reprogram the control?
There isn't a "Valve" for shifting the drive, the actuator is basically a motor that moves the cable.
I would disconnect the cable from the actuator and make sure the drive can be shifted manually by pushing and pulling the cable.

attachment.php

Attachments

• emergency shifting.jpg
    emergency shifting.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 3

mike_W

Recruit

yea im not sure i will have him do that, i just remember him saying something about a shifting valve so i started to search and saw that the Volvo penta IPS using a shifting valve to change directions hydraulically. As far as reprogramming i would have no idea. I am not 100% sure what outdrive he has a know its a volvo dual prop

Don S

The IPS is not an outdrive, and is NOT available for a 26 foot boat. It takes twins to even work.
He either has a DPH or a DPR outdrive.
Just reading stuff off the web that has nothing to do with what he actually has is a real waste of time.

mike_W

Recruit

i was just trying to gather information as he had told me about this issue at least a month ago all i did is google the specs on volvo penta d4 210hp which i know he had on that boat, and found "Electrical shifting performed by electromagnet valves" and found some diagrams which were for the IPS system. now if that spec is wrong no big deal... just trying to get a better picture of what is going on. I did realize after reading more that it was not the case

mike_W

Recruit

Hi, the boat owner here.
The particular part the dealer said they found to be faulty, was the steering shift actuator. I'm wondering how they came to that conclusion.
When I shift into forward, everything works fine. However, when I shift into reverse, the engine dies and alarm sounds.
I was also told that the steering shift actuator is not covered in my Extended Warranty.
Furthermore, I could not replace the part myself, because you need a "vodia" computer to program the part with.

Engine
D4-210A-A 6401P

Transom assembly
DPH-A SINGLE

Drive unit
DPH-A 2.08

Don S

Afraid the SN will not give me the type of HCU or PCU the engine is equiped with. And they do have different pinouts. Look at either one and see if it's an EVC-A or B.

mike_W

Recruit

Afraid the SN will not give me the type of HCU or PCU the engine is equiped with. And they do have different pinouts. Look at either one and see if it's an EVC-A or B.

Ok, I took a look at the EVC PCU today and was only able to get these numbers off of it.

S/N WK05010830116

P/N S100485/Rie... Not 100% on that last part. Might be "RLE".

Where would I find if it was an EVC-A or B? Do I have to take the EVC apart?
Let me know what you think.

Martin