Vent hose, oil volvo

dugcarr1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a volvo 250a/sp

my rings are bad! leak down/compression confirmed it.

I cant find ANYTHING about vent hose in my manual.

Im not going to fix rings for a few months.
can i use 20w50 insted of 10w30?

what is the 4" box between my vent line and crankcase?

what is an easy quick fix to town down the oil that is coming out of my vent hose????
is there some type of filter i can make or buy that i can use just for the season until i fix rings?

thanks guys
DOUG

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Vent hose, oil volvo

what is an easy quick fix to town down the oil that is coming out of my vent hose????

Ayuh,... Rebuild, or replace the Motor....

dugcarr1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so there is no filter or oil catch I can create or buy until I rebuild?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... This ain't about making Lemon-aide outa Lemons...

Your motor is just plain ole Worn Out....
Nothing is going to fix it besides actually Fixin' it....;)

dugcarr1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well for anyone interested i made Lemon-aide.

all i was trying to do is stop oil from getting in my carbs and dripping down my engine, NOT fix my ring problem yet.

insted of my vent line running from my case to my carb i made a "trap" to catch most of the oil.

1) I duck taped a gatorade bottle upside down atop a 2liter pop bottle.

2) i took a 3/4" hole saw and drilled a hole on top of the Gatorade bottle and also 2 " down from the top another hole in the side.

3) i attached a 10" piece of pipe (from old stern light) onto a 3' hose and pushed the pipe through top hole so the pipe was 2" from bottom of pop bottle. the other end went to my case.

4) I ran another hose from side hole back to air intake on carb.

5)i sealed up the bottles were the hose went in.

I know this is a Macgyver/ Jonny half job, but it did seem to work quiet well and only took 10 minutes to construct out of 50 cents worth of household items.
I think it would take a hours for the bottle to get full enough before i have to change it out.

and if I have to it all again before I rebuild engine or sell I would just use a little better items and have a drain on the bottom.

hopes this helps someone out that wants to use there boat with bad "blow by" that dosnt have the weeks or thousands it will take to fix there boat at that exact time.

I let you guys know if it melts or catches me on fire.

DOUG

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

You're taking quite a chance with that rig. The diesel combustion chamber you've created outsde the metal confines of the engine could create a quite spectacular explosion.

I know you're proud of the separator you built and how you've mastered an application of Bouroulli's principles but don't use that thing - it's flat out dangerous!

dugcarr1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

even though there is no more pressure in that thing then the vent line?