Volvo 130 & outdrive ready to go back in?

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Will be putting the motor and outdrive back in the boat in a few weeks and wondering if I missed anything major. Motor is a Volvo AQ130D with the 280 outdrive. When I bought it, the bellhousing extension piece was broken and the vibration damper in multiple pieces. I?m making the assumption that the bearing in the bellhousing was frozen. I found another bellhousing, damper, and power shaft, and replaced the bearings and seals in the bellhousing. The bearing in the flywheel will be replaced when the engine comes off the stand.

I test ran the engine on a stand and it started easily enough, ran smooth, and accelerated without vibration. There were a few water leaks on the oil cooler when hooked up to water but they quit when the motor was running. Realigned the piping and replaced those seals and O-rings just to be on the safe side.

I?ve already received all the gaskets, shims, and seals for the upper gear box to lower gearbox reassembly. The prop turns freely and there isn?t any apparent damage. I plan on draining and refilling the oil and performing a pressure test once everything is put together . The transom shield seal is still soft and pliable so I?ll reuse that but I did buy new thru bolt o-rings and the main o-rings for the mounting ring (they sure are proud of those things!).

I?ve greased and pushed out the old grease from the steering arm (I know ? it may have damaged the seal but that is only a sleeve and I?m not too worried). It moves smoothly.

When taking care of the main shaft bearing in the bellhousing, I packed it well and also filled the grease tube. I?m wondering if it would be alright to replace the grease cup and cap with a zerk.

The driveshaft u-joints seem to be alright with no apparent slop or grease leakage. I?ve no reason to suspect they?re bad.

Just wondering if I?ve hit all the bases. Any opinions? - Thanks

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Volvo 130 & outdrive ready to go back in?

Did I ask the wrong question? Has it been answered a million times before? - If so, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just wondering if I?ve hit all the bases. Any opinions?

Don't take this wrong, but there are only a few here with Volvo experience. What you are asking is almost impossible to answer. Just because you don't get an answer just means the ones that have read your request either don't have anything to add, or those with the same setup haven't read it yet. If you have put things together by the book, then all you can do is run it and see what happens.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Fair enough answer Don - thanks.

Yes - I've been using the manual and this forum for information so feel fairly confident I'm doing things right. Just asking if there were any major landmines I set for myself that I'm not seeing.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahhhhh. the "Blubber hoses" (aka rubber hook by Swedish nomenclature) as we call them at work.
Yes, the only way to replace them is to remove the engine and the "Grommet" (#23) what you call a yoke (never did figure out the name grommet).

When working on Volvo's, you must learn to speak fluent "Swenglish". I have been working on them for way too many years, and still learning....... and laughing at times.