Volvo Penta AQ131A carb rebuild

ADKcurry

Cadet
I have a Volvo Penta AQ131A engine and the guy who works on my boat suggest the carbs be rebuilt. I contacted a marina that stocks Volvo Penta parts for older engines and was told that one carb takes two kits and one carb takes four kits. In all I was told the kits would cost about $686. I thought that was pretty high, but really don't know. I looked up online and the part numbers are 856472 and 856471. Do I really need two of one of these kits and four of the other? If so, does anyone know if which PN I need two of and which PN I need four of?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta AQ131A carb rebuild

Since that is an IO, not an outboard, lets move this over to the IO forum.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go to the top of the page and click on Volvo Parts. Then follow the links to your engine for part numbers.

ADKcurry

Cadet

I know the part numbers, but not sure how many of each kit I need. I was told I need two kits for one carb and four kits for the other carb and am not sure if that is accurate.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I know the part numbers, but not sure how many of each kit I need. I was told I need two kits for one carb and four kits for the other carb and am not sure if that is accurate.

Did you check the part numbers; it may list the number required.

ADKcurry

Cadet

I believe I got what I need. Sierra makes a carb kit that includes the OEM part numbers. I am assuming it has everything I need and it was about $75 including shipping from iboats. A lot less that the $670 a dealer told me I would need to spend for the carb kit. I am glad I looked into this further!

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for following up and letting us know the parts are available at a reasonable price. I also have one of the older AQ130 engines so it's good to hear what other people are doing. It appears that Volvo does a good job of cross referencing older part numbers to parts that are still used in their newer engines (o-rings, gaskets, seals, nuts & bolts, bearings, etc). For parts that are no longer used by Volvo- such as the carb kits, the aftermarket suppliers seem to be better pricing.

If you've got a Sierra part number, I'd appreciate if you passed it along since I'll probably doing that job as well. Thanks.

ADKcurry

Cadet

The Sierra part number for the AQ131A carburetor repair kit is 18-7000. For those with other models here is a link to a listing of all the aftermarket Volvo-Penta Careburetor Repair kits by engine model. This is an invaluable resource for people who have the older model Volvo-Penta engines. The OEM carb kit is not available online from Volvo-Penta and not too many dealers stock parts for the older models. The guy at the marina I called was obviously confused when telling me I needed two kits for one carb and four kits for the other for $696. My 1987 boat isn't worth much more than that - LOL>

http://www.iboats.com/Volvo_Penta_C...9627071--**********.366813241--view_id.268841

If the link doesn't work follow through these clicks at www.iboats.com

Top left click on Marine Parts > Boat Motor Parts> Sterndrive Engine Parts> Volvo-Penta Aftermarket Parts> Scroll down to the heading "Volvo-Penta Sterndrive Fuel Parts" and click on "Volvo-Penta Carburetor Repair Kits" You will see a list of many Volvo-Penta models including the old AQ engines.

ADKcurry

Cadet

The guy who works on our boat finally got a chance to use the Sierra rebuild kit. He was less than impressed with its quality. The accelerator pump was very flimsy compared to the OEM and when installed allowed fuel to leak. He had to use the old and the new together to create a tight seal and not allow the leak. Another part, which I can't remember the name of, (small gold threaded thing with sharp point at end) also was not right. Luckily, my mechanic is very knowledgeable and resourceful so he made the kit work. It also helped that a friend has an old AQ engine that my mechanic could get some parts some.

So bottom line, buy an OEM carb rebuild kit if you can locate one.

Robj

Lieutenant

I have used the Sierra kit for my AQ 131 carb and did not have any problems with it. While I agree that OEM is the way to go, sometimes the additional cost does not warrant buying OEM.

Have a great day,

Rob.