Why no distributor advance on Volvo 130?

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Was looking into converting the points to electronic ignition and noticed that there is no advance mechanism on the distributor. There is no vacuum unit or even any springs on the plate and the plate is not adjustable. It seems strange - is that the way it's supposed to be?

Here's a picture. It looks like there's a spring in the picture but it's the points/condensor connector.
P1010065.jpg
[/IMG]

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Why no distributor advance on Volvo 130?

the springs and weights are under the point mounting plate

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Ahhh .. went out and looked closer with a flashlight... now I can see the spring under the plate. Shouldn't I be able to move the points mounting plate with a screwdriver? Doesn't seem to move.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

the plate doesn't move. it's screwed down. take the points/condensor out then you should see the screws that hold the plate down.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks. I remember points from the old days but didn't remember exactly how everything worked. The good news is that I remember how to use a feeler guage, dwell meter, and timing light!

Maclin

Admiral

The plate would only move if the distributor had a vacuum advance setup, that is what vacuum advance does, moves that plate, it is in addition to any mechanical advance. As mentioned before, the mechanical advance mechanism is under the plate.

You should be able to turn the distributor shaft a few degrees under resistance then feel it spring back. If that motion is not smooth or there is no movement then the advance mechanism weights are rusted or something else is interfering with that mechanism.