stopped up manifold volvo penta 1981 4cyl

kingoftex

Cadet
I recently bought a 1981 Yukon Delta house boat. It has a VP 4cylinder. The manifold is stopped up preventing water from circulating. I have removed the manifold and it is indeed rusted up. I am trying to make sure what engine this is so I can find a manifold. The id tag on the engine is 8587 2417 184752. The VP website doesn't recognize this number. Do any of you have any help. Do I have the correct number of digits in the SN? Thanks for your help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: stopped up manifold volvo penta 1981 4cyl

Those aren't Volvo numbers that I am familiar with. Do you have a picture of the engine you could post?
Does this engine hook to an outdrive, or is it a straight inboard.

kingoftex

Cadet

I don't have pictures. It hooks to an outdrive. It is the type of engine that is cooled by a closed cooling system and then draws water in to circulate thru that. 4 cyl. dual carbs. The impeller is mounted on the front of the engine. Alot of the info is printed in Swedish (I think).

kingoftex

Cadet

Don,

I went to that site first and couldn't match the number. The plate that I got the number from is on the back of the motor on the port side. Is that the right place to look? It was hard to read, but I thought I read it right. I'll look again. The carburator cover says 140A.

Thanks for your help and your patience.

kingoftex

Cadet

It kinda looks like an AQ 145A. Where would the ID plate be on it?

Don S

If the carb cover says 140, then it may very well be a 140. The brass embossed tags were near the distributor and fuel pump.
Being nearly 30 years old, who knows if the engine has been changed or not, or with what.

kingoftex

Cadet

Here are a couple of pictures. It does show to be an AQ 140. I'd like to figure out the serial number because I'll need it any time I need parts. I think again that I read the number correctly. I got them from a plate at the back of the engine by the back of the starter. I don't know why it doesn't match up with anything.

Attachments

• volvo motor.jpg
    volvo motor.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 0
  • volvo sn.jpg
    volvo sn.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 0

Don S

I can't read it, maybe someone else can.

attachment.php

captmello

Captain

It does appear to say AQ140A. The VP site says production year 75 - 79. Could be a replacement or a left over, who knows. Is this a salt water boat? You may want to pull the heat exchange and have that checked out too. If you go to the Volvo parts at the top of the forum you'll find you can search by AQ#.

Good luck with your motor!!!

kingoftex

Cadet

Most recently it has been fresh water, but who knows where it has been in the last 28 years...........I have already pulled the heat exchanger. It doesn't look bad just by visual inspection.

Thanks for your help Cap'n. I'll need all the luck I can get.