Volvo 270 chugs in forward, not in reverse?

logan44

Cadet
When I am in forward gear, the motor will rev to about 1200-1400 rpm, then it will chug and drop to about 900 rpm. Could this be because of the red shifting cable? The boat is a 1972 and who knows if it has been changed.. I don't know much about boats, but am pretty mechanical. Thanks in advance,

Logan

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo 270 chugs in forward, not in reverse?

Not sure what the problem might be. Probably not the shift cable. Volvos don't have the same shift cable issues as Merc.

You don't give any motor info. Give us some details to work with. A little back round might help. sounds like a fuel/carb issue to me.

logan44

Cadet

It's an aq130 c with a volvo/chrysler 270 leg.

I don't think it's a fuel/carb problem as it feels like something doesn't engage fully in forward gear. I may be wrong.

Could it be something with the prop not hooking up? I heard that it may be some sort of "clutch" that goes bad if you hit something. Someone told me its for when you run up into weeds or hit something to take the pressure off the prop/shafts?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Could it be something with the prop not hooking up? I heard that it may be some sort of "clutch" that goes bad if you hit something. Someone told me its for when you run up into weeds or hit something to take the pressure off the prop/shafts?

I find it amazing the things people "Hear".

The props do have rubber hubs in them, but they either work or they don't.

First, check the gear lube in the drive. Water in the oil will cause the cone clutch in the upper gear box to slip at times.
Also pull the back cover off the drive and shift gears and make sure the shift mechanism is going all the way into gear.

logan44

Cadet

Don and everyone else wo replied, thank you.

So Don, can you give me a walk through quick about how to check the shift mech.? What back cover are we talking about?

logan44

Cadet

And i checked the gear lube, no water.

-Logan