Rough shifting Volvo Penta

mia248vista

Seaman Apprentice
Engine and Drive: 2003 Volvo Penta 5.0 Gxi-B DPs

Problem: I took out the boat today and had a real hard time with the shift control box. In short, when we took off from the dock I put the drive in reverse with no more force than usual. After pulling away and settling in neutral I shifted the control to forward. Here is where things went wrong. The shift control would increase the RPMs but the drive would not engage and move forward. After tinkering with shifter with the engine off in the middle of the channel we started the engine again with the same result except this time when I took the rpms up to close to 2000 RPMs the drive engaged roughly. There was some improvement in shifting that allowed me to get back to the dock but I am still having a similar behavior especially when transitioning from previously going reverse. What is going on here??? :confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Rough shifting Volvo Penta

When was the last time the gear lube was changed or checked?
Take the props off take the back cover off the drive and disconnect the shift cable from the outdirve linkage. Start the engine on muffs and see if you can turn the shift mechanism on the drive. Both forward and reverse and back to neutral.
With the engine off, have a helper hold the disconnected cable back at the drive and see if you can easily shift gears.. Could be a faulty shift cable.

mia248vista

Seaman Apprentice

Well it is the shift cable....

What am I looking at in terms of cost for replacement? How much time would it take a pro to do?

wkb2460

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Less than $100. for the cable and it took me about an hour to replace mine.
Take your time disassembling the shifter and don't loose any small parts.

mia248vista

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks! My throttle cable also is also bit rough.... Should I do both at the same time?

Also do I need to pull the cable first to find the length for the replacement?