volvo 3.0 freeze plug

jackrabbit2

Cadet
blown freeze plug on manifold, is ther usually more damage or when the plug blows does it ussually prevent other damage, if ther is other damage can it be welded to repair it

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: volvo 3.0 freeze plug

I don't know about the manifold... but they aren't really "freeze plugs" - even though they are often referred to as such. They are casting or core plugs covering the openings made when the block is cast. And from what I understand there is at best a 50/50 chance of no damage if one does pop out due to freezing.

jackrabbit2

Cadet

this is not on the block, but on the under side of the intake manifold

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Block or Manifold,... Same answer...

rentalguy1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I found a blown freeze plug on mine today when I tried to run it for the first time this spring. How did your's turn out jackrabbit?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What's the difference in how his turned out. If he was lucky and you weren't does that make your problem any better or worse?????

rentalguy1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Actually mine is at the dealer right now and I'm nervous that there is more damage done. I just wanted to know how his turned out to put my mind at ease a bit (if that's even possible prior to picking my boat back up).

rentalguy1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, the dealer replaced that freeze plug only to have it leak again. There is another freeze plug behind the bell housing that has come out. They will have to pull the engine to replace that one. The other one on the side of the block is partially out, too. There is also a 2 1/1" crack on the side of the block, but it's a external only leak there. We ran it for several minutes and there is no water in the oil at all, so maybe I can come out of this for under a grand. I also talked about trading with the sales guys, and worked out a pretty good deal on a new 2008 205LR. We'll see what the mechanic says on Monday and take it from there.

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

Buy the new boat or buy a new motor. If you pushed out that many plugs plus you have a crack, the outcome is not going to be good. It must have been frozen solid. Even if there is no water in the oil now, there will be soon.

rentalguy1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Buy the new boat or buy a new motor. If you pushed out that many plugs plus you have a crack, the outcome is not going to be good. It must have been frozen solid. Even if there is no water in the oil now, there will be soon.

I'm inclined to agree. I am thinking over the deal on that (new) 2008 Stingray 205LR 5.0MPI that the dealer offered.

rentalguy1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

long story short; the banks won't loan money on big (>20') boats these days without the buyer investing equity up front (big down payment). My credit is excellent, and I had the money to do it, but in this economic time the money is probably better off sitting in my bank account. You never know what might happen, right? So we inspected my engine again (with a magnifying glass) to satisfy my little airframe and powerplant (aviation) mechanic mind, and decided it was good to go. So the mechanic is putting her back together. I should have it back next week. This turned out to be a $1000 winterization mistake. Other new fellas please learn from my mistake. I hope your deal turned out better than mine, jackrabbit.

engine pics for anyone interested:

the two cracks in the side of the block (already ground for welding)
ModelRailraod036.jpg

ModelRailraod037.jpg

ModelRailraod038.jpg

The core plug that was missing behind the bell housing:
ModelRailraod040.jpg

ModelRailraod039.jpg

ModelRailraod041.jpg

rentalguy1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry for the threadjacking jackrabbit. I thought since we were on the exact same topic, engine and all, it might be ok. If it's not, I hope a mod will be kind enough to pm me.

A couple more (last ones, I promise):

ModelRailraod042.jpg

ModelRailraod043.jpg

The cylinder I thought was cracked:
ModelRailraod044.jpg

ModelRailraod045.jpg

ModelRailraod046.jpg