74 Mercruiser 302 to 98 Volvo 5.7GI swap

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 74 Mercruiser 302 to 98 Volvo 5.7GI swap

Well I got the remote control to work, the gauges hooked up, transom bolted, just not sure of this pump, just doesn't look like the one in the pdf...not sure how to fill it either.

Is the "up" hydraulic tilt hose the upper one? the pump is labeled so that's easy

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

thanks for the manual, it's good to know that filling it needs to be done a certain way!
still looking for which one is the up or down hose from the leg, the pump is labeled though so I'm halfway there!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's in the manual, just not obvious. All you have to do is look at the cylinders and where they hook up and see which hose makes them go up and down.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

Draining the oil before I install the motor, is this colour brown normal?
I'm using Volvo synthetic 30w because that's what your supposed to use.

Don S

Is that milky (water)? Kind of hard to tell. Just looks funny, but not really milky from here.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

as I poured out the old oil into the containers near the bottom found several drops of green coolant..
I know that's a bad sign and have never seen it before when changing oil in my old motor or any other I have owned.
:confused:

Don S

I would be pulling the risers off and looking at the gasket surfaces. Clean them up (risers and manifold) and post some pictures of the gasket surfaces.

If original, those manifolds and risers are 11 years old and used in Salt water.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

I would be pulling the risers off and looking at the gasket surfaces. Clean them up (risers and manifold) and post some pictures of the gasket surfaces.

If original, those manifolds and risers are 11 years old and used in Salt water.

The engine was only used in fresh water, properly winterized as far as I know. Sure I can take the risers off,
I will take some photos and post them.
Thanks,
Rob

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

I was reading one of your posts and it says,

You could have perfect compression and still have a cracked block. Pull the intake off and look around the pushrods, you will find your crack.

Even if the exhaust manifolds or risers had a big hole in them, the water would blow out the exhaust while running, not go into the oil.

I'm going to check that out tomorrow for sure,
if I have green coolant drops in the oil, maybe i have a cracked block?
The way to find out is to pressure test the coolant at 20 lbs right?
and the compression is fine I had the seller test it while i was there from 150-165.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

here is the starboard riser right after i removed it, whats up with that gasket?

this is the riser after cleaning gasket off. no pitting on surface
clean.jpg

This is the box where the electrical plugs in right beside that bad gasket it's dripping green coolant out of the wire...
drippingcoolant.jpg

Don S

The manifold looks perfect if flat.
As far as the AF drip, who knows. The engine has been out of a boat, who know what position it was layed in or anything else.
Pressure check the cooling system if you want, change the oil and run it and see what happens.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

With a motor that old I would replace all gaskets and the front and rear seals then give it a fresh coat of paint. I would also rig the motor up on a stand or cart and fire it up before putting it in the boat and check all fluids after running for a while, if something is amiss it is a lot easier to fix with the motor out of the boat. and you can go over the whole motor with a fine tooth comb and look for any problems before dropping it in your boat. You can pick up a remote starter pretty cheap and someone on the boards can help you with the hook up, you just need a can of gas and a water hose and you should be able to fire it up.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

Superpop,
I agree with starting the motor out of the boat, been thinking of doing that.
Thanks for the reply,
Rob

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

getting ready, this rig will save my back
put the risers back on with new gaskets.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

update:

The oil pressure was up fairly high but now at idle is about 30, tightened the coolant cap and the af hose is firm, let it warm up temp in normal. Oil is clean not milky so far so good.
I like how it starts! revs up a bit at first then settles down to idle...a little history the motor has been sitting for years, but fogged and winterized.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

if water gets into the oil does it get trapped in the oil filter?
I am really worried about the funny oil colour in the photo I took, is that from it sitting in storage or that folded over riser gasket ?

Don S

Nope, the oil filter is not like a water seperating fuel filter. What you see in the filter is what is in the engine.
You need to get the oil level up to normal level (on the full mark) and run the engine for a while and see if the level increases. That will tell you if you have a large water intrusion.
Also and engine setting around can pickup water from rain and condensation. Who knows how or where it was stored, I don't.
Drain the water, isolate the block from the exhaust manifolds and pressure check it. you should be able to pressurize the system to 15 psi and it hold forever.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

So far I have run it three times and happy to say no change in the oil colour and level.
Thanks for all the information and advice Don S.
I'll be back, hopefully with more good news!
Regards,
Rob.