• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Looking for Genuine Volvo Penta parts? Visit the volvopentastore.com - powered by iboats.com to receive FREE SHIPPING on orders over $99!

Looking for Genuine Volvo Penta parts? Visit volvopentastore.com - powered by iboats.com to receive FREE SHIPPING on orders over $99! UPS Ground only. Not available on Alaska, Hawaii, or international orders.
2 of 2 < >

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

74 Mercruiser 302 to 98 Volvo 5.7GI swap

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 74 Mercruiser 302 to 98 Volvo 5.7GI swap

Thanks Don, used photobucket to reduce the photo size
    Here is a photo of my 302 being removed
    Attached Files
    1974 23' Bayliner Nisqually:
    1997 Volvo Penta 5.7 FI
    Duoprop, SS F4 Props

Comment

You should use photobucket to post the picture big enough to see.
      Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
      That is what the forums are for.
      Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

ok try this again
        1997 Volvo Penta 5.7 FI
        Duoprop, SS F4 Props

Comment

Now, post a picture like that, BEFORE you make it that small. Just make it fit inside the the post box.

This picture of your above post is about 735 pix wide.

Attached Files
          Don S.

sigpic

Comment

painted The transom its in great shape
            fit bellhousing , same holes as old mercruiser
            re-gelcoated the inside and edges of hole

1997 Volvo Penta 5.7 FI
            Duoprop, SS F4 Props

Comment

Well I got the remote control to work, the gauges hooked up, transom bolted, just not sure of this pump, just doesn't look like the one in the pdf...not sure how to fill it either.

Is the "up" hydraulic tilt hose the upper one? the pump is labeled so that's easy

1997 Volvo Penta 5.7 FI
              Duoprop, SS F4 Props

Comment

I don't recall right off which one is up or down, but here is a link to the service manual, you can look it up.

http://www.4shared.com/account/file/...LK_SX-DPS.html
                Don S.

sigpic

Comment

thanks for the manual, it's good to know that filling it needs to be done a certain way!
                  still looking for which one is the up or down hose from the leg, the pump is labeled though so I'm halfway there!
                  1997 Volvo Penta 5.7 FI
                  Duoprop, SS F4 Props

Comment

It's in the manual, just not obvious. All you have to do is look at the cylinders and where they hook up and see which hose makes them go up and down.
                    Don S.

sigpic

Comment

Draining the oil before I install the motor, is this colour brown normal?
                      I'm using Volvo synthetic 30w because that's what your supposed to use.
                      1997 Volvo Penta 5.7 FI
                      Duoprop, SS F4 Props

Comment

Is that milky (water)? Kind of hard to tell. Just looks funny, but not really milky from here.
                        Don S.

sigpic

Comment

as I poured out the old oil into the containers near the bottom found several drops of green coolant..
                          I know that's a bad sign and have never seen it before when changing oil in my old motor or any other I have owned.
                          1997 Volvo Penta 5.7 FI
                          Duoprop, SS F4 Props

Comment

I would be pulling the risers off and looking at the gasket surfaces. Clean them up (risers and manifold) and post some pictures of the gasket surfaces.

If original, those manifolds and risers are 11 years old and used in Salt water.
                            Don S.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Don S View Post
                              I would be pulling the risers off and looking at the gasket surfaces. Clean them up (risers and manifold) and post some pictures of the gasket surfaces.

If original, those manifolds and risers are 11 years old and used in Salt water.
                              The engine was only used in fresh water, properly winterized as far as I know. Sure I can take the risers off,
                              I will take some photos and post them.
                              Thanks,
                              Rob
                              1997 Volvo Penta 5.7 FI
                              Duoprop, SS F4 Props

Comment

I was reading one of your posts and it says,

You could have perfect compression and still have a cracked block. Pull the intake off and look around the pushrods, you will find your crack.

Even if the exhaust manifolds or risers had a big hole in them, the water would blow out the exhaust while running, not go into the oil.

I'm going to check that out tomorrow for sure,
                                if I have green coolant drops in the oil, maybe i have a cracked block?
                                The way to find out is to pressure test the coolant at 20 lbs right?
                                and the compression is fine I had the seller test it while i was there from 150-165.
                                1997 Volvo Penta 5.7 FI
                                Duoprop, SS F4 Props

Comment

Working...
                                X