Volvo penta 130c solex carb rebuild

dmanars

Recruit
Is this a difficult rebuild. Im an intermediate auto mechanic. And Im not too bad at figuring things out. but Ive never done a carb rebuild. I ordered the kit and it should be here tomorrow. should I have a professional do it or do you think I can get by?

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo penta 130c solex carb rebuild

You have an aq130c? Twin carbs?

I wouldn't try without a manual, but some might.

By the way, welcome to Iboats.

toadwarts

Cadet

i work for an auto parts dealership, SATURN, and had one of my wholesale garages old carb mechanics rebuild the carb for me. Bought the sierra carb kit, 18-7000 i think. Man Charged me $150.00 labor to do the job. Put the rebuild back on, with a small idle adjustment and mixture tinker it runs like a champ. Too many small parts and screws for me. If you have never rebuilt a carb before i do not recommend it.

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class

hiya, you can do it, its not as hard as it looks or sounds, its tuning it after whats the hard part for some people but putting the new parts in and the cleaning anyone can do that ;)

zbnutcase

Commander

And they actually are pretty simple as far as carbs go! 'nutcase

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had that engine for many years. Here are my thoughts, but they may be wrong...

The twin downdraft carbs are not difficult to rebuild or especially complex. The bigger issue is synchronizing the carbs and this is VERY important. It takes a special tool or piece of equipment - don't really remember. For this, you will need a professional.