Volvo 200 to 280 ???

Fisean

Cadet
I have been reading and searching this site for an answer regarding changing my outdrive. I currently have a Volvo AQ 200 (old boat) and I've been toying with the idea of either having the old drive re-sealed, or upgrading it all together. I found a deal on an AQ 280 and I am wondering if they can be swapped out (same shift, bellow diameter etc.) The motor is a Ford 302, and people I have talked to say, "you have a 200 with a V-8?" Granted, the 200 says 8 underneath on the plaque in the back.
Any help?
Thanks in advance.

Sean

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo 200 to 280 ???

Welcome Fisean, to Iboats.

Nice to see a fellow Volvo owner on the forum.

I must say your questions made me think for a while. Not thinking about the answer, but trying to figure out what your working with.;)

Volvo has a model 200 outdrive and a 280 outdrive. AQ 200 refers to a 305 chevy (please correct me if i'm wrong on this) not a 302.

there is no AQ280. AQ### refers to the motor not outdrive.

The 200 outdrive was an early version of the old volvo outdrives, is that what you have?

Regardless of what engine and drive you've got , your new components need to match engine size and manufacturer and/or outdrive gear ratio.

Clarify your questions a bit and you'll get the answers you need.

How about a little info on the old boat you've got.:)

Fisean

Cadet

Thanks Captmello for the response and the warm welcome. I wasn't sure of the AQ thing. In the past I have mainly dealt with outboards.
The motor is most definitely a Ford. And the outdrive I have right now is more than likely just a 200 (it says 200/ 8 on the plaque on the drive) The boat is a 1969 Carver Holiday, and I believe the drive and motor are original. As of late I have been noticing the gear oil in the drive becoming a grey color, so I hauled the boat out to do some repairs. Last year I replaced the bellows, and while I had the drive off, I put a air pressure guage on the drive while I introduced about 10psi of air into the drive. It did leak semi slowly, after about 1 hr. the gauge was down to 0. I couldn't figure out how to preform a vacuum check. But I believe it just needs to be re-sealed. Then I found this 280 outdrive locally on Craig's List and started contemplating if I should just upgrade (?) the drive. Here is a pic of the great fishing boat I am dealing with, thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Got Wood wave resized.JPG
    Got Wood wave resized.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The 200 drive was used on an AQ180 engine. Not sure what it was though. The Ford 302 wasn't used till the mid 70's though.
I will have to do some more checking when I get home this evening.

Fisean

Cadet

Thanks guys.... You ROCK!!! The motor my be considered a 1970. That is what I had to use getting tune up parts.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is a product bulletin on the AQ180, doesn't say what type of engine it is, but it sure doesn't look Ford. It was only manufactured in 63 and 64, and the ONLY V8 used till 69 when they used the Chevy 305 as an AQ200.
The Ford 302's were called AQ190's and only used in 76 and 77, and was the last Volvo used Ford until they went into the joint venture with OMC and the 5.0 and 5.8L Fords were used for a few years in the mid 90's.
What you have may be the original drive, but probably NOT the original engine.
As far as interchability with putting a 280 on. I have no idea. I have had problems getting early and late model 280 parts to interchange, let alone a completely different model.

Almost forgot, here is the link to the product bulletin.
http://vppneuapps.volvo.com/ww/PIE/...-08-25-11&t=PDF1P&a=47700007&p=T416&d=Product Bulletins&s=528200&lang=en-GB

Fisean

Cadet

Thanks Don....I think I'll go with plan A and just have the 200 serviced and sealed!

captmello

Captain

What, I went to work and missed all the fun.:)

thats a great looking boat!

Keep us posted on your motor/outdrive issues. Do you do your own work?

Good Luck!

Fisean

Cadet

What, I went to work and missed all the fun.:)

thats a great looking boat!

Keep us posted on your motor/outdrive issues. Do you do your own work?

Good Luck!

Thanks again for your input guys! I have owned mostly outboards, this is my first outdrive (other than a jet). I used to work with a Mercury outboard mechanic, he taught me alot several years ago about outboards....plus I have always been a tinkerer of sorts...so just learning as I go.
I'm not too familiar with re-sealing an outdrive so taking it to the shop to have it done right. I read the service manual and it looked like several special tools were needed for gear lash adjustments etc. So rather than drop a bunch of moneys on tools (& the lack of experience).....I'll have the shop do it right, plus we are trading work!
This forum is pretty cool with all the information and helpful members! Maybe I can help out on the outboard area sometime!
Thanks for the compliment on the boat! She's a goody !!!

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

AQ180 engine. Not sure what it was though.

AQ180 was the Swedish redblock Volvo B36, 3.6L V8. 180hp

A few old Donzi's I have seen had the 200 model drive behind a 302

I swapped a 250 upper onto my old AQ180/200 I had when the 200 upper broke, so I suspect a 270 or 280 could fit. but I think the 200 resealed would probably give plenty of future service. It's a bit whineyer due to the straight cut gears. 250 went helical cut. So my old drive was a bit of a hybrid.