Water leak on Volvo SX, bottom of inner transom plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

daleatskiworldorlando

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all, I have a boat in that has a Volvo SX drive with a water leak coming from the bottom of the inner transom plate. The engine is shoe horned into a tight space and there is limited access but using a light and a mirror I was able to see water leaking from the hole as shown below.
Volvo_SX_leak1.gif

Volvo_SX_leak2.gif

Before I pull the engine I would like to know what is behind this plate? Anybody have any ideas why it would be leaking here?

A bit more info on the leak, it only leaks when the boat is in the water. Does not make any difference if the engine is running or not and there is no leak with the boat out of the water with the engine running on muffs.

Thanks for any insight, Dale

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water leak on Volvo SX, bottom of inner transom plate

Before I pull the engine I would like to know what is behind this plate? Anybody have any ideas why it would be leaking here?

The transom is behind it, and since it's the lowest place in the cutout, that's where the water will run too. Water flows downhill.
The the transom cutout is made, you are supposed to grind a notch as shown in the picture below.

attachment.php

That hole in the metal plate where you see the water coming from should line up with that notch.

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 16

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

That might lead you to believe that the outer transom seal has been compromised somehow,....

Is the hull old enough to be Rotten,..??
Any underwater Strikes,..??

daleatskiworldorlando

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,....

That might lead you to believe that the outer transom seal has been compromised somehow,....

Is the hull old enough to be Rotten,..??
Any underwater Strikes,..??

Hi Bond-o and Don S, Thanks for the replies. The boat is a 1995 Chris Craft Concept 21. I did not think it was old enough to have transom rot but I just checked it with a small hammer and it sure sounds like it may have some soft spots. Looks like it may need some major repair.

Thanks again for the help, Dale

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Good Luck Dale...

2004SSI180

Seaman Apprentice

Hey dale I had the same problem with my boat. I removed the out drive and changed the bellows and resealed it and the same problem once I put it back into the water. So I had i friend of mine that surveys boat come and inspect the transom, it was fine. So I tilted the boat up as much as I could and filled the bilge with water and sure enough it was leaking from the bottom of the transom. So after talking to don on here and other volvo guys I took it upon myself to get some 3m 5200 and put a bead of it around the tramsom plate. Put it back in the water after 7 days and NOT A DROP OF WATER coming in now. :) It was the best $12 i ever spent on my boat. About 6 weeks later now and about 10 dive trips it is holding so hope that helps you. BTW my boat is a 2004 Chaparral 180si.

Mike

2004SSI180

Seaman Apprentice

Don heres some pics of the water leaking out when I tilted it up.

Mike

Attachments

• misc 039.jpg
    misc 039.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 24
  • misc 043.jpg
    misc 043.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 23

2004SSI180

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry Don I meant Dale on the last post.

kingfish62

Seaman Apprentice

Hello to all,
I just wanted to say thanks for all the post here on this thread. I had the same area leaking on my 1995 Wellcraft Eclipse. I got a tube of the 3-M 5200 quick cure and completely went around the Transom Bracket. No more leak. Had it not been for this forum I would have spent money at the shop that serves me better in my pocket.

r/Mark

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

Please remember that not all shops won't do the 5200 thing just because they want deep in your pocket. There's alot of liability for a shop to seal it like that. If you go offshore and the boat sinks and someone die's guess who gets sued. If three years from now your transom is rotten guess who gets blamed/sued.

James

2004SSI180

Seaman Apprentice

kingfish its a quick fix to buy more time its been about 8 months since i did mine and its PERFECT still.

blazer7

Cadet

Don and 2004 - I have the exact same problem right now, same leak, same spot. I actually started another thread and THEN found this one... I thought about sealing my transom bracket temporarily just to get my boat from my lift to the boat ramp so I could fix it.... but you guys say, you permanently seeled it and have had no problems? If that's the case... I'll save myself the aggravation.

Status
Not open for further replies.