Replacing Volvo Shift cable

jluchuk

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2000 Larson 290 carbrio with twins - Volvo 5.0 GL PEFS with Duo Prop DP-SM out drives and model SX-M transom shield. I have to replace the starboard shift cable because it is binding. Is there any tips anyone can give me on doing this. Do you need to lube the outside of the cable to get it through the transom into the out drive? Should I attach a wire to the old cable when I pull it into the boat? The cable installed now goes into a black rubber hose that is about 2 feet long before it goes into the transom. I have not been able to find any directions on specifically how to change the cables and do not want to end up pulling the old one out and not be able to get the new one to the shift connection on the out drive. Any advice or tips on doing this would be greatly appreciated. Jerry

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Replacing Volvo Shift cable

You just disconnect the old cable from the drive and remove the nuts and connectors and rubber covers from the cable. Then from inside the boat pull the cable out of the hose. Put the new one back in the hose (wiggle the cable to get it thru the hole in the transom shield) Be very careful when you put the cable thru the transom shield that you do not poke it thru the ujoint bellows. Have some one guide it thru the drive and into place as you gently push it thru the hose.

jluchuk

Seaman Apprentice

Don thanks so much for the advice. I have to say this is the forum I have ever been on. This is the first volvo I have ever owned and here in New York I have not yet found anyone with much experience on them that I trust. Contacting Volvo Penta themselves is a waste of time they would only refer me to dealers who have said they can't help me, so having expertise like this is really great. I hope to change the cable this Saturday and will let you know how it goes. Thanks again. Jerry

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Put some dishwashing liquid in the hose to make the new cable slip through easier.

jluchuk

Seaman Apprentice

I wanted to let you know that replacing the shift cable went very smoothly with no problems. Thanks again for the help.
Jerry

pvantienen

Cadet

I wanted to let you know that replacing the shift cable went very smoothly with no problems. Thanks again for the help.
Jerry

Do you have to pull the boat out of the water to change the shifter cable?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You should start a new thread with your question.

It would be really tough to do this without taking the boat out of the water. I guess it is possible but I sure wouldn't want to do it that way.