Volvo Has To Do Something About Their Drain Plugs!!!!!

gregstukey

Seaman
I did a boat today that had 3/4 block drains and 9/16 manifold drains and they all were in f'd up spots. They have got to get the 'S' together. I also did a merc that had two hoses on a smaller (3.0) attatched to the flame arrestor that very nicely said "block drain" and "manifold drain." Ah the yin and the yang I guess. Still love both those manufacturers though.

-G

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Has To Do Something About Their Drain Plugs!!!!!

Block drains have to be on the block where they will drain the block same with the manifolds. Without knowing what year, model, type engine or anything else, hard to give you any ideas. Are you sure it wasn't something done by a previous owner?

gregstukey

Seaman

No Don, I was just venting. Its all factory stuff. VP just seems to be the more difficult engine to deal with when it comes to draining.

-G

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

From what I see, Volvo is getting better, Mercruiser is makeing it allmost impossible.

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

Having helped a friend, new to boating, winterize his Volvo last year, I would tend to agree... That said, I've never seen another friend of mine as mad as he was the day his "polymer" drain plug snapped in half as he winterized his mercruiser. After that, I have replaced my plugs every two years (cheap insurance). It seems they get a little brittle over time.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

Brass hex Drainplugs last Forever....
And,...
Any drain that has a Hose on it, is a Cracked Block just waiting to Happen....

It's the boat manufacturers who make Motors impossible to work on,....

Chevy has been putting the block drains in pretty much the Exact same place for the last 50 Years.....

gregstukey

Seaman

See, I think Mercrusier is certainly easier to drain. No tools needed (but i agree with them becoing brittle and subject to breakage). Easy to find, etc. But they are definitely getting weird with the air actuated valve on the Merc 8.1 Horizons. I just wish they would make them all a 9/16 wrench so I didnt have to go up and down the ladder searching for tools---but maybe its just me being lazy.

i think a semi-universal system for block/manifold draining would be nice. But the world would definitely be boring with the all same engine too.

-G

as far as VP--just keep them all 9/16 for God's sake...

wait, and, the manifold drains should be on the forward side of the mainifold and not behind a power steering pump...

I love my OMC for how easy it is to drain.

If Merc and VP had a bastard child....now that would be sweet.

Bondo

Staff member

i think a semi-universal system for block/manifold draining would be nice. But the world would definitely be boring with the all same engine too.

Ayuh,...

I find it danm near Amazing that Gimbel Bearings,+ the gimbel bearing Alignment Tools are universal between any outdrive that has a gimbel bearing,+ it needs aligning...

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

just think how simple life would be if everyone used heat exchangers. a little permatex liquid teflon thread sealer on the threads helps too.