how to winterize a 2003 volvo penta 5.7 GI DP

cdoom

Recruit
I,ve never winterized a marine engine before so my question is... I have a 2003 volvo penta GI-C, I think it just says 5.7 GI DP on my customer stub. The engine is raw water cooled with a fresh water flush that can be used while the engine is running. In the operators manual is says to simply drain the engine block, manifold, and raw water pump and that is it. Do I have to run antifreeze through the engine or not? and if so, How? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: how to winterize a 2003 volvo penta 5.7 GI DP

To start with read the winterizing stickies at the top of this forum.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

draining the block/manifolds/PS cooler and heat exchanger if ya got one is a good start to get you through a few nights of freezeing weather......
But if your looking to winterize AKA.... long term storage regardless of temperature there' is a lot more things you need to do.

cdoom

Recruit

OK, I read the stickies... in terms of engine winterization only, it sounds like I should drain the block and manifold. It doesn't sound like I should use my fresh water flush or muffs on the outdrive to run antifreeze through the engine because of the thermostat. This engine doesn't have a heat exchanger attached to the raw water pump on the front of the engine. The engine s/n is 4012086366 and is fuel injected if that helps. The question I have is, if and where I should introduce antifreeze into the engine if at all? I think I understand how to fog, change oil, fuel filter, stabilize fuel, etc. Thanks for the quick response.

Don S

Don't bet you know how to fog, you have no carb to spray fogging oil in and you really don't want to spray/squirt it in thru the flame arrester. I'll find the procedure here in a bit, it's in the OEM service manual.
Also you have a model number of 5.7Gi-C. Very important.

If you go to the link below, you can download an owners manual that (I think) tells you how to winterize.
http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/glo...ice/publication_search/publication_search.htm

JustJason

Vice Admiral

you need to get a new fuel water sep and make a cocktail!!!!! :)

cdoom

Recruit

Thank you for the service bulletin. That will definitely be of help. I think my only other question is that of the use of antifreeze after draining the block and manifolds. the operators manual doesn't say anything about doing that. Thanks again for the quick response.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

you do not NEED to fill with antifreeze AS LONG as you get ALL of the water out.......... And that's because air doesn't freeze.... and if there's no water to freeze the block can't possibly crack......

That being said.... HOWEVER....
the engine block is cast iron... and has realatively thick walls. The manifolds are cast iron, and has realitively thin walls. Cast iron has this unique property in that it absolutely without a doubt rusts up faster than anything. It will rust up... the rust will flake off exposing cleaner metal.... that will only rust up and flake off cycle after cycle.... etc.
Now if you can keep all that rust submerged in non corrosive antifreeze, then oxygen can not get to the iron, and it will not rust over the winter. That's just basic chem 101... iron plus oxygen equals iron oxide.
Do you neeeeeeeeeed it???? No.... just get the water out. If you care about your boat/engine will you spend the 30 to 40 bucks in NONTOX antifreeze once a year to do the best job you can in taking care of your stuff?????? i dunno.... that's up to you dude.
But if you have livewells/freshwater systems your definitely gonna want to do the best you can draining those/blowing those out and adding antifreeze.

cdoom

Recruit

Thank you, I understand all of that. What I don't know is how to run the antifreeze through the engine. I have a raw water cooled engine, with no closed system. I have been told to use muffs and at the same time, I have been told to use the fresh water flush on the engine. I have also been told that the thermostat may not let the antifreeze in so I shouldn't do either. I have also been told I should take the hose that goes to the outdrive from the raw water pump on the front of the engine and run the antifreeze through the pump from there. I would like to use the antifreeze, but just don't know which method to utilize or if it really doesn't matter. Thanks again.

cdoom

Recruit

I would like to use the antifreeze, but just don't know which method to utilize????????

Don S

Read this link about running a raw water cooled engine with muffs.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=280921

You DO NOT want to try that on your engine. Drain it as in the manual. Either do it right, or replace the block next summer because you THOUGHT it would work.