Volvo 4.3 GL: How many engine block drain plugs?

I have a 2003 (or early 2004) Volvo 4.3 GL w/carb. I'm curious how many petcocks are on the engine block? I only see one, however the documentation says there will be one on each side. Its hard to see any on the other side with the starter there, but maybe that's why I can't see it.

thanks,

John

mthieme

Captain
Re: Volvo 4.3 GL: How many engine block drain plugs?

I just replaced the starter on my 4.3 a couple weeks ago. I noticed the petcock, but for the life of me, I can't remember if it was behind it or just forward. Either way, there is one there.

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Behind it I believe, just feel for it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just like any 4.3L there is 1 block drain on each side of the block. Just have the engine level when you drain them, and probe the hole behind the plug with a wire to make sure it's clear.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Look behind the engine mount that you see in this pic. It's kind of between the starter and the engine mount.

Attachments

• Cobra starter.jpg
    Cobra starter.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 13

I found it, thanks everyone. I had the boat for four years and never knew there was one on that side. Thankfully, the dealer always winterized it. This year I'm keeping it in the garage (which is attached), so I think I'll just drain it.

Hey mthieme, that's a nice '69 sea ray. I started out with a '69 SRV 185, green (hence the username). I learned a lot with that boat, I completely replaced the interior, and many, many other things, but eventually wanted a fish and ski, so I got a four winns. I miss that boat though.

thanks again everyone.

Don S

Since this is your first time and you have so much trouble figuring out where the block plugs are, I have to assume you don't have an OEM manual, which means you probably don't know about the drain plug on the intake manifold either, or the power steering cooler, or the manifolds.

Yes, I do have the OEM manual (came with the boat), but for the first four years, I only opened the two manifold plugs and one engine block plug around October to let most of the water out, then I would bring to the dealer to fully winterize it. This year I'm considering saving some $$, since I didn't even put 10 hours on it this season.

So now I'm reading the manual, and that's where I read there was two engine block plugs and that prompted me to post. It also mentions the intake manifold plug and the exhaust manifold plugs, but nothing about the power steering cooler, I don't believe I have one. I assume this would be easy to spot.

as far as the intake manifold plug, it does not look like a brass fitting like the others, is it treated the same, or does some sealant need to be put around it when reinstalling?

thanks

Don S

I usually put either pipe dope (not Teflon tape) on the threads more to lubricate it and prevent corrosion than for leaks. All it is is a pipe plug, don't overtighten it.
If you have power steering, it has a cooler, usually mounted on the back of the engine, I just pull the lower hose off to drain them.
You may have just been lucky about not draining but one side of the block in the past, or probably when you took it to the dealer, they would drain it also after they ran a fogged it. Either way, if you do it wrong, we will hear from you in the spring wondering why you have water in your oil.