Convert Oil Drain to hose on Volvo 5.0 GXi

Brian K

Cadet
I would like to convert my Volvo oil drain from the current "suck it up the dipstick" to a drain hose similar to the Merc style. Unfortunately the oil dipstick is connected to the oil drain via a banjo bolt. Not sure why they did this instead of the standard dipstick hole inot the engine. Is there a kit I can purchase to retrofit - or is this pretty much a "buy the parts I need and do it myself" type of project.

KJSmitty

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Convert Oil Drain to hose on Volvo 5.0 GXi

Not sure why they did this instead of the standard dipstick hole inot the engine. QUOTE]

If it was a standard dipstick tube arrangement, you would not be able to "suck" the oil out of the pan...

Not sure why you feel you need to change the design yet if you do, you will need to facilitate another dipstick tube etc.. I have never looked, yet I would guess the typical block port is just plugged and one could easily install the "usual" GM small block tube/dipstick.

However, it would be much cheaper/easier to just purchase the inexpensive hand pump that screws on your current Volvo dipstick tube for easy oil changes etc..

Cheers

Brian K

Cadet

I do have the hand operated oil vacuum pump that you mention but since the oil is so thick (yes even warmed) that I have to sit there for about 20-30 minutes and pump up more vacuum every couple of minutes to keep the oil flowing. I have changed the oil on a Merc using the drain tube and find it so much more convenient. I am considering cutting the oil dipstick tube and installing a stainless "T" with a drain hose off the "T" with a plug on the end - or perhaps buy the drain kit from Overtons - P/N 26164 - but this doesn't look like it will work with the dip stick tube and seems to be more for a separate dip stick and a simple darin bolt. Hoped for a better solution.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

what pump are you using? Can you post a link to it?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

if I had a choice between the merc style and the Volvo style, I would take the Volvo style any day. You just need to get a good pump and you will be fine.