Volvo 270 reverse lock

d1dave

Recruit
I bought this new(used) boat with a Volvo 270 outdrive that is not locking down. After carefully studying the problem I found out the tip of the push rod which the tilt mechanism is supposed to push down on when raising the unit is stuck. It looks like at some point in the past, the plate on the end of the tilt mechanism was lost and it has chewed up and flattened out the end of the fork where that little push rod is supposed to protrude. I ordered all of the missing parts for the lift mechanism(new plate and lock washer) but I need to do something about cleaning up that little hole in the fork. I think just running a drill bit through it and a little filing is all I need to do so the push rod can move freely but first I have to get that rod out of the hole and it is attached to the reverse mechanism down at the bottom. After checking all of the removal instructions in both the syloc and clymer manuals it shows removing the reverse mechanism as part of removing the entire sterndrive. My questions is, is it possible to partly disassemble the reverse lock mechanism while still attached to the boat just enough to get this push rod off temporarily? It looks like I could just disengage the bar with the two springs and then remove one of the lock nuts on the other bar attached to the two sides and finally remove the non spring side (locating pin?) and get that push rod off. Has anyone done anything such as this or able to offer some advise on what I might expect trying to do this? Any help would be much appreciated. Other than the stuck push rod it appears the reverse lock mechanism and locking pawls are in great shape. Thank you.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 270 reverse lock

Pull the drive and get it out where you can work on it.
I've tried several times in the past to do that job while the drive is on the boat. Don't even waste my time anymore.
After you get that hole all cleaned out, paint it, or you will have the problem again real soon

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Like Don said remove the drive. Push down on the mechanisim.Then drill.I have done hundreds when I was working as a rigger.Make sure if you have to take it apart the pieces are clean and smooth and try to get new springs. The lock pauls need to be straight no curves or rounded edges.Jerry

d1dave

Recruit

Thanks for the replies. I was afraid that's what it was going to take. I do have one more small problem I found. On either side of the reverse mechanism, there is a hole in the fork where the pins fit. The parts listings show a plug or bushing that goes in the holes on the fork and I assume hold the pins attached to the reverse lock in place so they don't just wobble around in the holes as mine are now. I found the part #832552 which says it is, "Plug, Early Type", but it looks like it is threaded on the parts diagrams and the holes on my fork aren't threaded. Also, it looks like the plugs go in from the outside, and since the holes aren't threaded, I don't know what would hold them in place. Is there a Plug Later Type or something, not threaded, I need that is inserted from the other side so the pins hold them in place? Or am I just not understanding something here?

Glastron_V210

Petty Officer 1st Class

Vcool.

If the ebay thing doesn't pan out I'll get some stuff from that site.

Have you ever used them...are they reliable?

Thanks,

Chay