Trim Cylinder Replacement / Volvo DP-D

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1993 Volvo (7.4) engine with a DP-D outdrive.

One of my trim cylinders is pouring out trim fluid around the ram and obviously it will not hold a setting. I have tried to remove the cylinder, but I cannot figure out how to remove the sleeve end where it pivots against the outdrive housing.

1. Is it possible to rebuild this cylinder while still attached to the boat? If so where can I find a wrench that will fit the 4-pin cap on the ram end to open up the cylinder? Also, where can I find a rebuild kit with the seals for this cylinder?

2. If I must replace this cylinder, how do I remove the sleeve (pivot) end from the outdrive housing? I have scoured the Internet all day for schematics to try and figure this design out. 6 hours later I still don't know how the sleeve is attached so I can figure out how to remove it.

I can send photos if necessary

Thanks!
Keith

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trim Cylinder Replacement / Volvo DP-D

I gave you a link to the OEM service manual in one of your other threads, go to page 142 of that manual. It explains in detail how to replace the cylinders.

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don,

I tried to access that manual, but each time I receive the following error message: "The file link that you requested is not valid".

Yes, I am able to access the 4shared.com site. That is where the error message originates.

Can you tell me what key words to search for to find that exact manual? Already I have tried using some of the information you helped me gather today, but my search only turns up other things you have posted on that site.

Thanks!
Keith

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The link worked ok for me, and the size of the file is over 33 MB.
Here is the link (not clickable) just copy and paste it into your browser address bar and see if it works. Just remove the " " marks.

"http://www.4shared.com/file/48536730/fa3b3311/280_to_DP-C_Drive_manual.html"

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don,

It worked this time. I see the previous thread's link is slightly different with some underscores showing up as "...".

I'll get started on this immediatyely. Not sure how long you will be available to continue helping me today. I am on eastern time and I will have to quit soon and I won't be able to get back on tihs project until Tuesday afternoon.

Thanks again for all your help getting me this far.

Keith