Volvo Throttle/gear cable replacement

We recently got stuck on the water only able to go in reverse and upon closer look notice that the cable that go to the out drive to control the forward, reverse, and neutral is broke. Tring to replace the cable and the red cable runs in to a black hose then out to the out drive. the hose is giving me trouble, can I get the cable out of the hose or does the hose have to come out with it? The nut holding the hose on is hard to reach, can I get to it with out loosing the outdrive from the transom, or does it need loosened?

The boat is a volvo penta aq170 with a 270 outdrive.
let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks,
Michael

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo Throttle/gear cable replacement

Don't take the black hose out.It will start to leak.It's a pain but you have to thread the new cable thru that hose.
You might even have to remove the top of the drive to get it to work thru . Jerry

gatorgitter

Cadet

Poor a little dishsoap down the hose, and wrap the end of the cable w/elecrical tape, to dampen the sharp eedges.... it worked for me ~ 2 mos ago...

good luck,
gator.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

I fought with my shift cable for a few hours before I decided to thread it though from the transom sheild. No problem at all. From inside the engine compartment it kept hitting the lip of the nipple or something, even taped up.

M