Volvo hard shifting back to neutral

aarontx

Cadet
Hello everyone. I bought my first boat a few months ago, '96 runabout with a 302 EFI volvo penta SX cobra.

The control gets stiff right when shifting from forward back to neutral. Also stiff when shifting from reverse to neutral. Shifting from neutral to forward or reverse seems like it should.

I asked the previous owner when I bought the boat what all he had tried to fix the issue, and he said that since when he bought it new it has not shifted good. He said he did take it back to the dealership a couple times for adjustment, but they said it is as good as they can get.

Last week I had her on muffs and it seemed to shift into and out of gear with no stiffness.

Anyone know what could be the problem? I was thinking of replacing the shift cable, but since it shifted good on muffs maybe it could be something else?

Also sometimes when trying to put in neutral the motor is around 1200rpm and thinking that might be why it is hard to shift back? And usually is will stay around 1000-1200 even when back in neutral. If I move control slightly forward and back after getting in neutral, it will drop the idle back down. Is it possible my throttle linkage needs some adjusting and causing the shifting problem?

And sometimes after driving for alittle while I have to move the control farther forward to engage forward gear and it will make a audible "klunking" sound. But seems to drive normal.

Also my control does not seem to pull out to the left to just control engine throttle like most boats, is this normal for EFI boats? It says volvo penta on the controller, so it seems to be OEM.

I did try searching the forum first before making this post, but just could not find someone that had a fix posted.

Thanks in advance for all the help everyone!

Aaron

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo hard shifting back to neutral

You need to get the idle speed down. Also, check your drive fluid level. An overfilled Volvo drive will have a tougher time shifting.

The control probably has a button that you push in to move the throttle forward. Look for an inch diameter button at the center of the control where it pivits.

aarontx

Cadet

Thanks for the help, I will check the fluid level. Also, there is no button on the shifter, besides the one on the underside of the handle to unlock out of neutral. Thanks!

Uraijit

Banned

Your idle speed is too high! You should fix that first. It might take care of your problem altogether.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Does the control in this link look anything like your shifter:

http://tbsventures.net/pub/images/DSC_0376.JPG

If so, you push on that white part. It normally has a black rubber cover over it. Even if you don't have that exact control, that is where you push.

Uraijit

Banned

That button is for disconnecting the shifter, so that you can control throttle without shifting into gear...

Maybe I'm just retarded, but I'm not understanding how that's going to help him address his shifting problem.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

you may be fighting two issues, as that motor is EFI the ECU controls the idle speed, dissconect the throttle link at the throttle body and see if the idle drops to 650 RPM, if it does fight the control box as nessasary, if it does not try to find the failure of the EFI system.
once the idle RPM is correct then we can look at a shifting issue.
I am not real familiar with the EFI system ford used as we just did not see many ford EFI setups in this area, everything was and is GM.
but first step is to get the idle speed correct, then we can test and adjust/repair the shift mechanism as nessasary.
its not hard at all but if the idle is almost double what it should be then yes,hard shifting is the result.

aarontx

Cadet

Thanks for all the help everyone!

I guess I was not really specific. When I start the boat it idles around 600 RPM and seems to hold pretty good. Only sometimes when I have been driving in forward gear I try to put it back in neutral it will still be around 1000ish RPM. I have to move control slightly forward then back after being in neutral and it will drop back down idle 600rpm. It does not do this every time though. When I am shifting back to neutral, at what point in the stroke of the control should the idle return to 600? When running with the muffs also it did this, but it comes out of gear easily on the muffs.

That throttle does not look like mine. I will try to take a picture of it this afternoon after I get off of work. It is square shaped, and says "Volvo Penta" on the control.

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

-Aaron

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That button is for disconnecting the shifter, so that you can control throttle without shifting into gear...

Maybe I'm just retarded, but I'm not understanding how that's going to help him address his shifting problem.
he asked this question in his OP

Also my control does not seem to pull out to the left to just control engine throttle like most boats, is this normal for EFI boats? It says volvo penta on the controller, so it seems to be OEM.
I agree it has nothing to do with the shifting problem.

I think it may be a linkage problem.

wkb2460

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also have a similar situation.

2000 5.0Gi with SX drive, I replaced the shift cable earlier this season and it did improve. I checked the fluid level and it is not overfilled.
My RPM's are within the normal range. It is tight only when coming out of gear (Forward or reverse) especially where it hits the point of engagement 10:00 O'clock or 2:00 O'clock back to neutral. When I replaced the shift cable I check the shifter and it works fine before I connected the new cable.
I also checked the shift assembly on the outdrive it appeared ok and shifted fine by hand, before I connected the new cable.

Any other suggestions.

keeleyson

Cadet

Boy does this bring back memories of my own problems only a month ago. Hard shifting, clunking, high rpm's ...it all boiled down to a reservoir full of water instead of 90w oil caused by the following ruined parts:

Bearing Housing 3857097, Cone 184683, Sealant,oil pan 851407: this chunk of assorted metal cost $450. Total bill was $700.

You may just need the oil. It made all the difference in the world getting it fixed.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r296/keeleyson/012.jpg

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

I replaced my original cable for my SX/DP this season. While it seemed fine visually and when disconnected from the drive linkage, I had similar problems.. Sometimes a cable that's a bit too long is installed and the extra cures or even loops adds tension. it doesn't take much to make things hard to move. I got the RIGHT sized cable and my problems went away. You want a gentle sweep to the transom shield, not hard curves or loops.

There will always be SOME pressure as you try to pull the drive OUT of gear. The higher the RPM's the worse. There is pressure on all the machinery at that point.

In skimming the posts I think I saw Rodbolt talking about the idle on these Fords with EFI. There is still an idle screw on the throttle body that can be adjusted. When I replaced my THROTTLE cable I needed to work mine. There is a sensor on the throttle body that picks up the butterfly position and send it back to the ECM. At least that's how I understand it all from the manual ;)

M

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

when that throttle bodey was manufactured,long before it made it to the intake manifold, that "screw" was adjusted on a flow bench to allow a predetermined amount of air past it, the rest of the idle air is made up by the IAC motor.
in other words, if you dont have access to a flow bench or the airflow specs DO NOT RANDEOMLY JACK WITH SHEET.
you guys are killing me :)
that is NOT an idle set screw and should NEVER need adjustment unless a monkey messed with it.
if the idle speed on an UN MONKEYED EFI motor is ever out of spec the system is BROKE not out of adjustment.
fix the system and you will see it now works again.
its an airvalve, plain and simple. its preset and calibrated for the IAC pintle and the particular ECU being used for that application.
EFI is incredibly simple especially marine EFI.
at least until 2009 when the EPA mandates catalytic converters and closed loop injection.
stand by for even more fun boys.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

I thought you didn't know anything about these engines Rodbolt ;)

Well that is interesting info for sure.. I'll have to consider what you said.

So the correct thing is to keep adjusting the throttle cable? That is damn tough on these engines given the configuration. I was lucky to get the new cable back on without pulling the throttle body

M

aarontx

Cadet

Thanks for all the help everyone.

The throttle cable was out of adjustment. I adjusted it properly now and idle stays at 600rpm every time I shifted into and out of gear and back to neutral on the muffs.

Also the drive did have about an ounce or maybe two of extra lube. I drained just enough to where it reads right at full on dipstick.

I put her on the muffs and she shifts fine into and out of gear keeping the 600rpm when engaging into forward and reverse and back to neutral. There was about 1/8" of slack in the cable before and I'm guessing that made it idle alittle high sometimes and why moving it back and forth would bring it back down before.

The controller does infact pull out to the left to allow for throttle only control. I just pulled it from the base and it pulled right out. I don't know why I though it did not before. Feel pretty dumb now haha.

I took the entire contol apart and inspected it and nothing seemed to have excessive wear. When I was putting it back together the neutral safety switch was cracked in half. Luckily I found a electronics store that had the exact part number and they are shipping me the little switch. I had to jumper it inorder to test the adjustments I made in the mean time.

Thank you all for the help! I can't wait to report back after I do a lake test and see if this fixed the problem. Hopefully this weekend, maybe next.

-Aaron

aarontx

Cadet

I took her out to the lake today and I'm happy to report that it is shifting into and out of gear good now. Seems the throttle and shift cable just needed some adjustment. Draining the extra ounce or two of gear lube might have helped also, thanks for that suggestion. It used to be pretty tough getting to neutral, now it feels good. Also stays at 600rpm idle when shifting into and out gear the whole time. Thanks again for all the suggestions and help everyone!

Also installed the new neutral safety switch and it works good now also.

Thanks again

-Aaron