2000 Volvo 5.7 runs cold & engine noise

sandiego

Recruit
I have a 2000 Monterey cruiser with 5.7 Volvo - just put in Salt water 6 months ago. Temp guage is staying at 100 - 110 even after several hours. Also there is a strange grinding noise from the rear of the engine - the noise is constant occurrs at netral or at power - not sure if it was there before or not. The boat seems to run fine - just worried about the nose & cold temp. Any ideas before I have a mechanic look at it?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2000 Volvo 5.7 runs cold & engine noise

Time to pull the outdrive and see if there is water in the bellows. I would suspect there is, and that is what is causing the gimbal bearing and ujoints to make noise. ESPECIALLY in salt water.
Concerning the underheating problem, check the actual temp of the engine with an IR temp gun to be sure what the temp actually is. If it is running cool, and since the engine is probably raw water cooled, might be time to check the thermostat

sandiego

Recruit

Thanks, Just curious how would water get into the bellows and is this an urgent problem or should we be able to run it ok for a few more months with out major damage? How would your prevent this from occuring again?

Bondo

Staff member

and is this an urgent problem

Ayuh,...

If it's the Bellows it Is...

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The thermostat is what... $15? Replace it regardless. Excellent insurance. I found the remains of mine at the bottom of the return hose.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't worry about hurrying to fix the leak, just run it the way it is. Especially if in salt water the most it could cost after all the parts go bad can't be over 10,000 to 14,000 bucks. In fresh water, may be a little less if you are lucky.
Notice my avatar? In my crystal ball I see $$$$$$ Flying out of your wallet, kind of like a mass exodus