Volvo AQ131D cracked exhaust manifold

hvacservicetek

Recruit
Hello to all, looking for some advice. I recently purchased a 1988 boat with a 4cyl OHC Volvo AQ131D that didn't get drained before winter. I took the cap off the housing with the strainer and started filling with water and water was coming out of the pipe that connects the heat exchanger to manifold, a crack in exhaust manifold, and one freeze plug that had popped slightly out in exhaust manifold. Am I safe to just order a new manifold and new seals for the pipe or are there things to explore in that heat exchanger (insert?) that may have also been effected. The actual engine coolant tested fine so I am only dealing with the lake water side.
Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for the long post!!!
mike

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo AQ131D cracked exhaust manifold

I would drain the coolant out of the heat exchanger and do a pressure test of the engines cooling system (antifreeze side) just to make sure the heat exchanger insert wasn't damages. If the housing (raw water side) is cracked, it can be welded easily in many cases.
If it checks good you should be fine. About the only other things that could cause problems would be the copper tubes cracking.

hvacservicetek

Recruit
Re: Volvo AQ131D cracked exhaust manifold

Thanks Don for your reply, I will do that. Looks like all the copper piping survived from a visual inspection. Thanks for your help!
Mike