volvo penta 5.0 stuck in reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

markyb31

Recruit
I searched a little on this topic and did not find an exact answer for my problem. I have a 1996 wellcraft 196ss with a 5.0 volvo penta dp engine. Last summer I was pulling into the dock and went from forward to reverse to slow down and I could not get it out of reverse, and it will not start because it is in gear. I put the boat up until this year and started to look at what the problem could be. I took the upper cover off the out drive to look at the shift linkage. It looked fine. I messed with it a little and after I did the throttle itself loosened up and it shifted easier (not out of gear though), but still not able to start the engine. I then looked under at the hammer where the cables hook to it and moved the hammer back an forth. When I put it in forward the top cable (throttle cable) moves first then the bottom cable moves shortly there after. When I go to reverse only the top cable moves. Shouldnt the bottom cable move also opposite the way it moved in forward? I am hoping this is an easy fix but I am worried I have gear problems. The props will not turn at all. I drained the lower unit and there was only about 3/4 of a quart of gear lube in it. Am I in for an expensive fix? Sorry about the long post but I figure the more info the better. Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo penta 5.0 stuck in reverse.

The props will not turn at all. I drained the lower unit and there was only about 3/4 of a quart of gear lube in it. Am I in for an expensive fix?

Yes, Very expensive.
And to bump your post after less than 20 minutes is rediculous.

markyb31

Recruit

Sorry! I did not know there were bump police on this site. I am in need of some help not a lecture on how to post.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, the bump police will not bother you any more.

silvershadowb

Recruit

i have the exact same problem with my 1996 volve penta boat ! but mine is a 4.3 motor, i was wondering if your problem was some serious gear problems or was it a simple fix? thanks!

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer

Is your exact same problem low oil in drive, or just the stuck in reverse part?

Have you taken off the cover on the back of the drive (3 bolts hold it on) and checked your shift cable?

toddsull

Cadet
I have a 1990 Wellcraft with a 454 and duo prop. Stuck in reverse. 3 hours of piloting backwards up lake Coeur d’Alene. Thankfully, calm conditions. I was afraid I lost my I/O. Pulled the cover off, and....... one little cotter pin. I have NEVER GOTTEN LUCKY LIKE THIS. Heck ya!

Attachments

• photo331304.jpg
    photo331304.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo331305.jpg
    photo331305.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.