Volvo-Penta 5.0 GXi-E Detonation/Timing

sevierd

Recruit
Howdy, I've got an 03' VP 5.0 GXi-E/SX Drive with 120 hrs and at high rpm (WOT-4600 RPM) I just noticed last weekend an occasional popping sound. Loud enough to get my attention and throttle back and I've got a well sound insulated engine compartment. I didn't notice a fluctuation in RPM with the sound and after hearing it a few times I throttled back and took it slower with no more indications. Pulled the plugs and some look like it was maybe running a little hot but nothing that was really obvious. Temps on the guage were normal. I'm running Mid-grade gas and the current tank does have some Lucas Oil fuel treatment/injector cleaner in it. My manual says you can't adjust the timing on the MPI models as it's all computer controlled. So any ideas on what might be the culprit? Could it be the fuel treatment? My best guess was the plugs or timing but if you can't adjust it and the plugs look ok I'm at a loss other than fuel. Any thoughts?

newport dave

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo-Penta 5.0 GXi-E Detonation/Timing

Have you checked the cap and rotor? They tend to be a problem area on the late model Merc and Volvo engines.

Bondo

Staff member

Have you checked the cap and rotor? They tend to be a problem area on the late model Merc and Volvo engines.

Ayuh,........

What would I be looking for Dave,..??
The usual culprits,.. Moisture, Corrosion, General Deterioration, Carbon Tracking,..??

Anything Special,..??

Bondo

Staff member

Perhaps an infestation of yellow spotted sea gremlins...

Ayuh,.....
I hope that's not another Invasive Species,...
That we'll have to deal with up here on the Sweetwater Seas,......:D

Mansourman

Cadet
Sevierd- I am having the same detonating issues with my 5.0gxi. 4600 RPM- pop, refuses to power past. Did you ever figure it out?
Sincerely,
Chris

Fun Times

Staff member
Sevierd- I am having the same detonating issues with my 5.0gxi. 4600 RPM- pop, refuses to power past. Did you ever figure it out?
Sincerely,
Chris
Hi there Mansourman, welcome to iboats!:)
Please bear in mind that unfortunately the chances are going to be very slim that forum member sevierd will be back anytime soon to give you an update about fixing his engines runnability problem due to looking over his personal account settings, it appears he has his email notifications turned off should someone send him a private message or post to one of his old topics such as this one.
His account settings are set to as follows,
Primary Usergroup: Abandoned user.
Send Notification Email When a Private Message is Received,
Yes No
Email Notifications,
Off, through my Message Center only
On
On, daily
On, weekly

Due to the settings above, the hosts of iboats would like to ask members to please try to keep topics that are over 90 days old down in the archives. Thanks and good luck with getting your engine running back to normal.:) iboats mod team.