Volvo SX lower unit housing

joeboata

Cadet
I've got a Volvo SX lower unit housing that had a new skeg welded on. The bearing carrier was installed prior to welding to prevent distortion of the housing. After welding, it was very difficult to remove the carrier (using the proper Volvo tool) and very difficult to install. I tried another carrier with the same results. Apparently, the housing is slightly distorted in the area of the internal threads.

Does anyone (Volvo, OMC Cobra, aftermarket) make a tap or thread chaser to chase the threads? It's about a 4 1/4" diameter. I haven't checked the thread pitch yet.

If not, can a machine shop do this? What kind of machine would they use?

Thanks very much for any help!
Joeboata

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Volvo SX lower unit housing

You can thread almost any inside circle with a lathe, however it'd have to be a big one to fit the entire lower unit. Check with the machine shop to see if they could do it.

I'm sure someone somewhere makes a tap big enough to fit with the right threading, but the question is going to be whether you want to pay to buy it.

tommays

Admiral
Re: Volvo SX lower unit housing

Getting it into a lathe is pretty much not going to happen in a cost effective way

The carrier is going in and out SO i would generaly use some laping compound and this should remove enough metal to allow a better fit

We have Carborundum paste in many grits to lap various dammaged parts that are only need very small amounts of metal removed to free them up