Volvo Shift cable replacement

wkb2460

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2000 Volvo penta Gi with SX-M drive. I'm going to replace the shift cable as it is tight when going from forward gear into neutral.

Anyone have any tips or instructions for doing this. My manual only covers the connection at the outdrive, but does not talk about how to replace the cable or the shifter connection.

Any help would be appreciated.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo Shift cable replacement

Which shifter do you have? Can you post a pic?

Pretty much all the shifters use the same type of cable end as what is at the outdrive end so its just a matter of removing the shifter and removing/replacing the cable.

63377F-p.gif

By 2000 I believe most Volvo installs got away from the older OMC style shifter. If you have the older style, you will need a different type of cable.

Have you disconnected the cable at the drive and tried the shifter to verify it is really the cable?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Volvo (even during the OMC Joint venture) never used cables with anything other than the cable ends shown by above.

wkb2460

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do plan to disconnect the cable at the outdrive to verify the cable is bad.

Is there any tips to adjusting the cable at the control head. I am familiar with the connection at the outdrive

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I usually set them about mid range of the threads in the control. Then adjust the rest at the outdrive. BUT!!!! Just in case, before you mount the control, make sure the shift mechanism moves to full forward and reverse. Once you get that, go ahead and install the control back on the boat.

wkb2460

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the input guys!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Volvo (even during the OMC Joint venture) never used cables with anything other than the cable ends shown by above.
My "LK" series Volvo had the OMC style ends becuase it was shipped with the OMC style shifter. My bet it was boat manufacturer getting rid of old stock.

Here is a thread we were both involved in where the guy had a Volvo drive and the OMC style cables:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=185578&highlight=volvo+shift+cable+omc